Pearls from Mexico

M

Margaret G.

My jeweler has a strand of black pearls that he says are not from Tahiti nor China. He says they are from Mexico. Is this true? We have a vacation home in Mexico so I am quite familiar with shopping there and have never noticed a big market in pearls there.

If there are pearls from Mexico what kind of pearls are they? Are they akoya pearls, maybe? Are they typically black like Tahitians?

Yes, there are pearls being cultured in Mexico as well. Especially in Baja California.
The pearls in Mexico typically come from 2 different varieties of oysters. This first is the Pteria sterna, or Western Winged Pearl Oyster. The second is the Pinctada mazatlanica, or Panamanian Pearl Oyster.

These pearls are typically dark, with colors ranging from black, gray, silver, blue to green.

The pearls are indeed very beautiful but have not really gained the reputation of other pearling areas yet. There is another variety making its way out of Mexico now as well. I believe this is the rainbow oyster which produces a pearl like Tahitian.

www.selectraders.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Natural black pearls from Mexico

Natural black pearls from Mexico

I have quite a few natural black pearls from Mexico. Most all came from the oyster Pteria Sterna. This oyster produces pearls in all colors Blacks, off whites, Greys all with different over tones. It all depends on where with in the shell the pearl was formed.

More Information on Mexican Cultured Pearls

More Information on Mexican Cultured Pearls

The market for Mexican Pearls IS NOT large. The mexican pearls oysters have a Fishing Ban (established circa 1939), so all the "new" natural pearls are illegal...still, poaching actively occurs mainly in the Gulf of California.

Hopefully, these pearls will make a comeback by means of pearl culture. There are 2 commercial pearl farms: one near La Paz (Baja California) and a bigger farm in Guaymas (Sonora). Both are using the "Rainbow Lipped Pearl Oyster" to produce Mabe Pearls & Loose Cultured Pearls. Production is still very low: 3-4 Kg of cultured pearls and maybe some 10,000 mabe per year. Mexican Pearl Production is independant of Japanese grafters and the pearls are a 100% natural in beauty...they don't even have the technology to perform "pearl enhancing" (bleaching, dyieng, polishing, etc.) but I guess they wouldn't want to "spoil" these pearls.

A distinguising attribute of the Mexican Pearls (Gulf of California) would be their ability to glow (sometimes brightly) red under UV light. I would try this trick on anyone trying to convince me he has a Sea of Cortez Pearl...specially if you can tell that the pearls ARE NOT from this region. These pearls have a uniquely intense orient...never seen anything like these. Some examples can be found in this same forum (under South Seas) or visit this website: perlas.com.mx

I am involved in a project to start an experimental pearl farm in the Mexican Caribbean. This region was famous for its really nice -but small- white pearls from the "Akoya" Oyster (same one as form Isla Margarita off Venezuela). I can only say it is going to be quite tough to find these oysters...but we will try.

jomarie-Sea of Cortez pearls HI! from Kansas City,Mo

jomarie-Sea of Cortez pearls HI! from Kansas City,Mo

:) I have just discovered these beautiful and unusual pearls! I am a pearl collector and have a passion for this gem. I am considering a major purchase of a strand of these beauties and have now found out that the person I was to purchase from has a strand showing on your web-site! I now am sure that she is honest and sincere. I am so glad I found this site so I can learn as much as I can. thank-you for all of the work and research that you do!

beautiful pearls from mexico

beautiful pearls from mexico

Jnorris said:
I have quite a few natural black pearls from Mexico. Most all came from the oyster Pteria Sterna. This oyster produces pearls in all colors Blacks, off whites, Greys all with different over tones. It all depends on where with in the shell the pearl was formed.
Hi, Jnorris I am trying to learn more about the Sea of Cortez pearls. Any info you could give me on where to purchase them and prices, I would be grateful. Thank-you for your expertise. JoMarie

Purchasing Sea of Cortez Pearls

Purchasing Sea of Cortez Pearls

Hi JoMarie,

There are two locations in Mexico where you can get bonafide Sea of Cortez Pearls: Guaymas (Sonora, home to the premiere pearl farm) and Cozumel (in the beautiful Caribbean). In the US you might try Drusy Designs by Care Ehret & Cortez Pearls by TriGem Designs.

You can also check the company's web-page: perlas.com.mx

Have fun pearling around!

Diego

Hi JoMarie,

There are two locations in Mexico where you can get bonafide Sea of Cortez Pearls: Guaymas (Sonora, home to the premiere pearl farm) and Cozumel (in the beautiful Caribbean). In the US you might try Drusy Designs by Care Ehret & Cortez Pearls by TriGem Designs.

You can also check the company's web-page: perlas.com.mx

Have fun pearling around!

Diego

I know the pearl farm was destroyed by Wilma; have there been any efforts at pearl farming around Cozumel since then? Any venues to buy Sea of Cortez pearls in Cozumel currently? Will be on a dive trip there in October, and would love to have a good excuse to do some SHOPPING...

Sheri

The pear industry in Mexico is developing and The Cultured Pearl Association of America has opened an office there. They do have natural gray pearl which I heard they are calling their forerunner pearl for the new pearl culturing industry south of the border.

There is a farm there I think the name of it is Perlas del Mar de Cortez. I think my spelling is correct. It is the first modern commercial cultured saltwater pearl farm in North America.

Eugene

Thanks for the interesting info!

Thanks for the interesting info!

Hey all,

I am a noobie at Pearl-Guide and want to thank you for all the interesting posts. I am a pearl aficionado and am always interested in the latest info coming out.

Cheers!

Me, too, Wendy, and I agree that they are very fine indeed. :)

Natural Mexican Pearls

Natural Mexican Pearls

Hi, I am on a mission to find a pair of Mexican origin natural ocean pearls, preferably already GIA certified, or SSEF in Basel. Anyone know where to look?

Best regards,
Tom Stern,MD

Hi Dr. Tom,

You might try a pm or email to Douglas at CortezPearls here on the forum, he might be able to help you---

Hi Tom-
or call them and make an appt to visit their farm near Guaymas. Their pearls probably are not GIA certified, but I don't know. They are so recognizable once you know them. I hope you go look at a lot of them.

That is one cultured pearl I can overcome my loathing ;) of PPB's (pearl plated beads), to embrace. I even have a lovely mabe (or blister?) from them. They may even get some keshi...

Natural, not cultured Mexican

Natural, not cultured Mexican

Hi Dr. Tom,

You might try a pm or email to Douglas at CortezPearls here on the forum, he might be able to help you---

Hi,

I thought the Cortez Pearls are cultured. My mission is for natural pearls from Mexico. I know they are still getting a few in La Paz, where they were once PLENTIFUL.

Thanks to all,
Tom

Dr. Tom,

Yes, Sea of Cortez are cultured, but thought Douglas might occasionally run across a natural, or be able to point you in the right direction--sorry, I should have been more clear----------La Paz is not that far from Guaymas.

Back