South sea keshi or reborn freshwater keshi

You would make a good lawyer and probably get someone off even if they committed the crime. But none of your reasoning or logic is relevant. Keshis are by prodects of culturing by definition. The Gia apparently seems to hold that there are people out there purposely growing keshi and selling them as natural pearls. This may be true- Gemgeek is at the source, not me, but these keshi still are raised by people who know what they are worth. Those are matched. I may go for your argument for one pearl, but not a entire matched necklace. That was deliberate and who over had a natural like that would not be selling it publicly.

But, it is not south sea. It is not natural and it is not SS keshi. The thread and the lock are circumstantial evidence and of practically no weight. What carries weight in the argument is the pearls themselves and they LOOK like freshwater.

Yes, the luster on some of those baroque pearls, such as yours is incredible. And the ones in colors are even more so. That shows it is practically brand new because the luster has just gotten like that on freshwaters in the last 4-5 years!

You may convince yourself or someone you might sell it to it is what you say- obviously someone convinced you and you believe them over an entire neutral pearl forum.

We WANT them to be what you say they are, but they just aren't.

Thank you all for weighing in.

The consensus of this forum, base on the luster of the pearls ("gorgeous"), their baroque shape and flaws, and price, and disregarding the thread and lock as circumstantial, is that these are 4 to 5 year old beautiful freshwater baroques.

Well, I am definitely not going against the opinion of an entire natural pearl forum.

I have no intention of selling this strand (ever), and probably wouldn't even have posted about it if it hadn't been spotted. I started this thread to ask your opinions about another strand I was considering, because I valued all your opinions and experience.

At the moment I do not intend to risk further ebay CFWS purchases, as I have found that the quality IRL is seldom up to scratch. Indeed, I have never found anything that looks like this despite repeated attempts. Instead I would keep a look out for something similar from one of the recommended members of this forum. Or as I can dream, to be able to go to the next trade show in HK myself. That might be difficult as I am not in the trade, only a member of the public who buys pearls to wear, not to sell … I agree and find that the third generation CFWS is on the whole incredibly beautiful.

I would like to add that while I do not own a metal testing kit, I have no reason to doubt the person who sold me this necklace about the metal of the clasp. It is very solidly made. Whatever they are, I too find the pearls very beautiful and do not regret this purchase. The seller did not sell me these as SS keshi. I indicated that the luster and orient comes closest to the SS keshi I own from other recommended sources (I guess I should have clarified, their orient look more like the orient on some of my SS keshi than the orient of any of the CFWS freshwaters I own). Now I understand that non nucleated freshwater baroques with orient and colors like these are available, I will certainly buy them from the recommended sellers.

Thanks again to everyone who posted for all your informative input, this is such an educational forum, and there's so much to learn.

Well, you really do have an "eye" for the insanely gorgeous. I personally love a lot of freshwaters just because they look so natural. They do look natural because those are natural shapes. They just don't look like wild pearls.

When I first came to this forum, white round pearls did not interest me so much as the baroques which have far better luster. I am so happy they are now more widely available- I like them better than the mechanical precision of round, round, round ,round, etc.

Baroque shapes are fun and they can show a degree of orient that round pearls rarely do. I'm sure you will get lots of pleasure out of your strand!

Are SS keshi only 9 1/2MM and up like SSP or can they be in smaller sizes. I was googling them to see what I could find, since there were no photo of actual SS keshi posted to this thread. Can anyone point in the right direction as to what they actually look like?

I've not had a lot to do with them but I got some ss white keishi for a customer in HK a year or so ago and they were something like 5mm. By definition, with no bead, they start from nothing, so they can be any size. They looked not much differen to familiar freshwater keishi

Hi CharmedOne,
Sven at AGUSTUS-Collection (on Ebay) has quite a few SS Keshi right now! He is a member here and his pearls are the real deal. While visions of keshi pearls danced through their heads….. :)

Thank you Marianne! I have a strand of pearls and I couldn't figure out what they were. Your suggestion has helped me out quite a bit. Thanks again ~d

Back