What makes a baroque pearl barouque?

Hi Zeide,

I said "three POSSIBLE sources".
As to the name Perucke, they had in mind the roccoco style of wigs (Mozart).
Art Nouveau has nothing to do with it.

nora

Dear Nora,

The Jugendstil or Art Nouveau picked up the organic shape theme from the Baroque period. Actually, in the Baroque period wigs were by far not as popular as in the Rokoko.

Zeide

If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

The word "Baroque" is a French translation of a Portuguese word (Barroco) which means "irregular pearl". The term was not used in the late 16th century to describe the artistic style introduced then, but only later in the 17th and 18th centuries by critics of that style.

The word Barroco can be traced to ancient Italian (Baroco) meaning weak content. Before the term Baroco was used to describe this form of art or architecture, it was called "The Flying Forms". The terms Baroco, Barroco and Baroque were all initially used as derogatory terms for this style.

Hi Stephen,

It seems that pearls of irregular shapes were named baroque first. Merriam Webster gives French as first choice of origin but the word is so old that nobody really knows for sure. Anyway, the Baroque period had a great fondness for baroque pearls and all kinds of organic shapes.

Zeide

Well, I for one hope they never discover what causes the baroque shape as they will try to "correct the problem." I love baroques as they remind me that we are not all alike and some of us are irregular, yet we are all beautiful! I do have one more question though, does anyone know what causes those gorgeous rings? Baroques are beautiful, but ringed baroques are simply breathtaking. They have a personality and character that just isn't matched in store-bought akoyas. But then again, I've never seen a natural pearl or a freshwater pearl of any significant grade.

jshepherd said:
Did you try heating the pearls that had the byronite nucleus? How is the density (2.8g/cc)? This is one of the problems with the Tridacnae nucleus (that and it is a protected species).

Have you read anything on 'Vapor Encapsulation'? If this new process is a success I think that quality nuclei will no longer be a problem as even 4th grade will look like first. I guess this really only matters to Akoya producers, but in the end it would help everyone, and improve the overall quality of Akoya pearls in general.

Finally had time to reaabout this process on nuclei. As you have stated: it matters mostly to Akoya producers, since a thin coating of nacre will reveal the "banding" seen on the nucleus. In our case, we can employ the most heavily banded beads...no problem.

I have an Akoya pearl here with me right now...I used a halogen light on it and voila!!! the bands on the nucleus (I guess it is a 2nd Grade Bead...all white) can be seen -very clearly- thru the nacre. I hope I can take a photo and share it in this forum.

Not all Akoyas are created equal.

Richard W. Wise said:
Douglas,

Have tried to follow the development of cultured black pearls from Baja but have not seen them now for several years. Are you set up in Tucson?

I would, for one, be very interested in and update on how you and your farm are doing. One image you posted in another thread seems to indicate that the quality of the production has improved since I last saw it. At that time, several years ago in Hong Kong, the pearls were small, misshapen and seemed to have a brown overtone. The one in the image has a beautiful orient, tell us more.

Richard,
First of all: Sorry. Just noticed this question of yours today...some 14 months later. My apologies.
We do the Tucson Gem Show every year, so you will find us there. Yes, the pearls we had at Hong Kong that year were harvested before time...in order to have something to show at the show. Those were summer pearls...which usually come out in more brown colors with green overtone. We don't harvest any Summer Pearls now, we don't need to anymore.
We have made good advances in our culture methods, but Nature is untamed...we have been hit several times by hurricanes and -once-even by a fishing ship! Thus losses have been heavy.
We do not produce the most pearls...that is a fact. But we do produce some of the most spectacular untreated pearls the World has seen.

You could say we have come a long way...

Attachments

• Gema (3) [%P].JPG
    Gema (3) [%P].JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 40
CortezPearls said:
Finally had time to reaabout this process on nuclei. As you have stated: it matters mostly to Akoya producers, since a thin coating of nacre will reveal the "banding" seen on the nucleus. In our case, we can employ the most heavily banded beads...no problem.

I have an Akoya pearl here with me right now...I used a halogen light on it and voila!!! the bands on the nucleus (I guess it is a 2nd Grade Bead...all white) can be seen -very clearly- thru the nacre. I hope I can take a photo and share it in this forum.

Not all Akoyas are created equal.

Took the picture under direct sunlight...the effect is clearly seen. The problem is the size restraint imposed on files on this forum. If anyone needs a better (larger) photo foe educational purposes, please feel free to contact me.

If someone ever wonders why some pearls are rarely baroque in shape...it could be because the bead is round, and the coating thin. Ouch!

Attachments

• Akoyas under Sunlight Mini.JPG
    Akoyas under Sunlight Mini.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 39
Back