Hammered Pearls

C

CortezPearls

Can anyone out there help me describe what causes "Pearl Hammering"???

It seems to me that certain nacre layers have some form of aragonite crystal displacement, but I have yet to find a good way to understand and then describe this effect.

I call this effect "hammering" because it kind of resembles the effect of hammering on metals (silver, copper).

I have included 2 photos of such effect on some Sea of Cortez Pearls.

Thank you all in advance,

Attachments

• Gota de Amartillado Anillado 3.JPG
    Gota de Amartillado Anillado 3.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Superficie amartillada 1.JPG
    Superficie amartillada 1.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 51
The hammered look is indicative of a very thick nacre. I checked Strack to see if cause was described, but she only mentions it twice in the book. Once with South Sea pearls (where the effect is typically observed), and once with Akoya. She only mentions the look of beaten metal to be indicative of nacre thickness, not the probable cause...

Yes, this "hammered metal" effect is very common in our Sea of Cortez Pearls and they indeed have thick nacre coating, but I have yet to find an adequate description...to me it seems that we have a displacement of aragonite crystals that -instead of being deposited like the rest of the crystals- they have been deposited perpendicular to the main layer. But I am at a loss here... wish I had a much better photo. Hope I will have some time tomorrow to shoot such a photo.

Hi All,

At the mention of Strack I thought I would ask how I should go about buying the book. Is her name Elizabeth Strack and the book called just "Pearls"...

If anyone knows where I can order it please do let me know. Can't wait to get it.

Thanks, Bodecia

I have a new photo of a cultured pearl with very notorious "hammered" effect...I cut the pearl in half, to better inspect it and review its nacre thickness.
Hope these help a bit.

Have been reviewing books and other Pearl sources, but I cannot find this particular bit of information.

Attachments

• Efecto Amartillado Mini.jpg
    Efecto Amartillado Mini.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 68
  • In half.jpg
    In half.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 75
CortezPearls said:
I cut the pearl [with very notorious "hammered" effect] in half, to better inspect it and review its nacre thickness.

Gosh... that hurts to see! :eek: ... since your pearls seem to be fairly singular. Little 'mabe' earrings, maybe? :rolleyes:

Nacre thickness and wavy structure show clearly in the picture, of course.

Ha! I agree with Ana - it was painful to see that beautiful pearl sacrificed in the name of science. I actually really like the hammered look in pearls, but they seem to be hard to find. Is it an uncommon effect, or are they just considered undesirable?

Science and Knowledge...they are indeed harsh & cruel mistressess:eek:

It is something very common in thickly coated pearls...have seen it also in Australian SSP-Whites. It is also more frequent in pearls harvested in summer months.

Any info or lead?

I sent a message to a friend of mine at the GIA early in the week, but to no avail. The hammered look is one that is immediately recognizable and everyone knows what it means (good coating), but the "why" escapes.

Boo, you can find Strack's Website here:
http://www.strack-gih.de/

The book is notoriously difficult to get. I discussed putting a way to order her book right here on Pearl-Guide with Elisabeth Strack. But we have not done it yet. She is pretty dissatisfied with the way her publisher has distributed the book. Her market is here - clearly. But it is nearly impossible to get her book here...

Ouch, indeed! How large are those hammered pearls (and the keshi on the other thread)?

It would be great if we could buy the Strack book here. I've been meaning to follow the instructions that have been posted previously on the forum, but just haven't gotten around to it . . . .

Perle

Hi All,
I ordered my Strack book about Christmas time, had to get it from overseas, exchanged a few emails, and paid via credit card. It went smoothly.

email: rdv@gz-online.com

internet: www.gz-online.com

If you do internet, click on the little British flag near the top and you will get English language. Then click professional books, also near the top. Good Luck! I originally tried to order it through Canada, but they were out of stock.

Pattye
So many pearls, so little time

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if no one knew why the hammered look happens...

Wonder if your friend the pearl-peeler wouldn't be able to tell better than most if and how the shape of nacre layers is modified in such pearls.

Is there anything particular about the shells these pearls come from? Couldn't imagine who might know better than the folks handling the beast :eek: Who else?

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, it took a couple of days to source this book. I finally contacted the following. They accept faxed orders, email and phone. It seems a little disorganized in the office (they lost my fax with credit card info)!!! but i got the book!

PEARLS BOOK INFORMATION:

Author:
Elisabeth Strack:
Title:
Perlen (Pearls: English Edition)
ISBN:
3-00-008636-6
Publisher:
Rühle-Diebener-Verlag GmbH & Co. KG

contact info to order book :

emails:
- info@gz-journal.de (general)
- e.dietrich@gz-online.com (Elke Dietrich)
- m.knehans@gz-online.com (Martine Knehans)

Phone:
+49 711 97667-0

Fax:
+49 711 97667-49

DIRECT LINKS:
abstract- http://www.gz-online.com/en/books/pearlse2.cfm
order form- http://www.gz-online.com/binarydata/download/fachbuecher_order_engl.pdf

address:
R?hle-Diebener-Verlag
P.O.Box 70 04 50
D-70574 Stuttgart
Germany

I think that's it!
Maybe you can all have a little shopping spree :D

Back