Hanadama Necklace - Fraudulent PSL Certificate?

Bodhi

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 6.5-7mm, 18" Hanadama pearl necklace from the Pearl Source as a gift for my wife. I noticed that the necklace itself has 59 pearls but the necklace pictured on the Pearl Science Laboratory certificate has 61.

Is this an indicator of a counterfeit certificate or some other fraud?

TIA!

Hello Bodhi, and welcome to our Pearl Community.
Well, I am not defending this company...but the specs sheet tells you all you need to know when purchasing an item...it gives you the size of the pearls, shape, origin, metal used and QUANTITY of pearls. Sometimes some companies use "stock images" (hopefully with a legend like "Purchased item may not look like the one in the photo") and this is not optimal.
As a Consumer you have the right to ask for your money back for a refund if not completely satisfied. It sounds to me you don´t feel fully satisfied. In my experience: once you feel wronged with an item you will always look at it with unease...it offers you a grudge.

But this is my personal opinion...we have more voices here in our beloved forum. Let's see what they have to say.

Stay Safe!

Goodness, I would send those back right away and purchase from a reputable source like Pearl Paradise!

I don’t think this would be fraudulent, I reckon this is likely human error on their handling of the paper work.

This is why it is important to count the pearls on the way in and on the way out when handling repairs (and even as in this case new stock.)

Imagine the scenario if this hadn’t been noticed until some time had passed, with a repair/restring having been done in between.

It would be a nightmare for all parties to resolve, having mismatched certificate and count of pearls present.

Have you now communicated with the seller? It may be an honest error or it may be deliberate. In case of the former they would want to rectify urgently, not least because they have another strand somewhere also with the incorrect certification.
But it's probably deliberate.
How they react will tell you immediately.

I agree with everyone’s comments! I will honestly doubt this was a mistake and will return the strand and look to buy through one of the most reliables online retailers like Pearl Paradise!

Glad we could be of help LilPearl :)
And I am sure you will have your new Hanadama to your full specifications and satisfaction :D
Please share a pic of the new one when it arrives!

Hi, all. Thank you for your helpful responses. Here's what they said:

We appreciate your patience in this process. Upon speaking with my supervisor I was able to confirm the certificate you received is indeed correct. Here is a bit more information regarding your necklace strand and certification process:

" The Hanadama strands are pre-certified at a 19" length on temporary strands in Japan, then sent back to us. This is done for the purpose of shorter processing time and customization capabilities. If we included the full amount of pearls on the necklace it would be longer than the selected length. Generally there is a cost associated with this added length. "

As previously stated, the pearls that are missing were removed to allow for the length of the clasp addition. Since the pearls are strung to order, it would take up to two months time to send to Japan for recertification. The pearls you have received are indeed the exact pearls in the photo. If you are still not 100% happy with your strand we are willing to get them back from you and restring a necklace with the full amount of pearls for no additional cost at this time. Please keep in mind that will cause the pearl strand to be longer than your requested 18". Please let us know if you would like to keep your item or send them back at this time.

We appreciate your patronage and hope to make your experience a great one! Please let us know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Any thoughts?

I would ask you again: How do you feel about the whole affair? Would you be satisfied with the necklace?
It is all about how you feel about the necklace.
This would be my personal opinion.

First, let me say I don't know a lot about Hanadama certification but it strikes me as curious that other companies seem to be able to match the number of pearls on the necklace with the certificate. So why not here?

And I believe it has been pointed out that the discrepancy could create problems at a later time.

But, as Douglas says, how do You feel about it? What does your gut feeling tell you? If you feel good about it and want to keep the necklace, you might want to ask to have the full strand. You can always restring and remove any pearls that make it too long and keep them close to the necklace so you have the provenance.

- Karin

I call bull****. I've had non-certificate, non-Hanadama pearls strung to my requested length by some of the recommended vendors here on PG, and I was sent the left over pearls in a small box along with the finished necklace.

Send them back. Get a refund. And buy from someone else.

There you go Bodhi.
You are the paying customer. It is all up to you now.

Back