My small pearl rainbow

Thank you all for your nice words- I am trying to build a varied and well rounded collection, hoping I will feel less of a compulsion to buy new pearls once I do :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the kind words! :)So, after more than a month in customs, my abalone pearl has finally arrived. I must admit that I am a bit disappointed...the color and luster are good, so is the shape, but there are very evident hairline cracks that were not shown in the pictures. I am a bit bothered by this, especially because I was choosing between this one and one on the pearl collector Etsy shop that I liked more - but discarded because it had a hairline crack. Anyway, I still hope it will make a nice pendant... here are the pictures, first alone and then with a soufflé pearl from pearl paradise (that used to be a floating necklace and is in the process of becoming a pendant or an earring :confused:) DC7C6C63-9EC0-455B-B51E-5D7D1857CFA0.jpg6485D095-732E-459C-8C70-9D4C13633B3A.jpg1B22137F-1D11-44B4-BE1A-AABC00E28C72.jpg04E26804-2893-4EDC-BFE2-34DCCAF7CA8F.jpg

And here is a group one of my pendants - and wannabe pendants :) 23525D4E-54BC-4D49-956D-CD235752AAAF.jpg

It's a pretty pearl, and looks good on all sides, so there's that. I cannot see the hairline cracks in your photos, so that's also a good thing. They are not obvious.

Thanks BWeaves, it’s good to hear that the cracks are not that obvious to others! I guess I am observing it with a much more critical eye :)

It's very pretty, but there shouldn't be any cracks. Maybe if you reach out to the seller they can send you a new one or at least refund you.

Charlotta, Katbran, thank you for both your feedback! My first instinct was also to return the pearl, as I was a bit disappointed with it. But now I am going back and forth - the pearl is quite pretty in person, returning would be a hassle, I have already paid import fees - and all things considered, being that I have paid it a bit under 300 USD for what is indeed a natural abalone pearl with nice colors, I don't feel too ripped off. But then again, I am a bit scared that the pearl might be too fragile to be set as a pendant :(

Oh my goodness, what a happy looking collection!

I don’t think anyone here can testify to the pearl-craving being satisfied forever...

The structure of horn abalone pearls makes them delicate and subject to degrading over time when worn. Their potential durability can be hard to evaluate. It's all about creating a setting that will protect your lovely pearl. Disadvantage is the cost. Advantage is hiding the parts that aren't as pretty. I think it's a wonderfully lustrous and colorful pearl. :)

Beautiful collection! I love the colors on the blue akoyas, and they have a very nice shape! Sorry about the abalone pearl crack. I don't have any advice, but the colors are so beautiful on them. I hope to own one some day.

GemGeek and amti, thank you for your nice words - in the end I have decided to keep the pearl and set it as a pendant. It is with a lavoro jeweler now, I’ll post pictures once I get to see the final result :)
In the meanwhile I have ordered some purple fw baroques from Kong’s...they arrived today and I must say that I am quite disappointed...the dimensions are quite off (they are supposed to be 6-7 mm but some are quite smaller some much larger), the color is not purple at all, barely lavender and the surface and luster are also not that great...admittedly they were quite cheap, but my previous experience with her was much better (my fireball pendant also comes from her, and I found the quality excellent for the price)
Attached a picture for reference 14C4133B-2B24-46D6-90BF-EBA8E5BBDADC.jpg

Back