Pearl Care Question

FunkWidget

A little background. For several years I had a Florida Resident Seasonal Pass to Walt Disney World. Within Disney World is Epcot's Japanese pavillion and Mistukoshi department store. Mitsukoshi has a "pearl counter" with a circulating tank where the oysters are kept alive (mostly). For those who aren't familiar, a pearl counter is where you pay for a voucher and then select an oyster to find your pearl. They always guaranteed a pearl in every oyster. In my case, I made it a tradition to purchase at least one pearl per visit to Epcot, which was several times a year. This is from 6 to 12 years ago. I have a lot of pearls in small little plastic baggies to keep the date and size info. They've been that way for a while.

I know, I know. I know that pearls can dry out, especially if kept in an airtight container. I know what we're supposed to do to prevent them from drying, and keeping them healthy. Esseentially, wear them frequently and let your bodily oils and moisture do the trick. I'm having difficulty, however, with finding any information regarding treating them once they dry out? Or even if you just suspect they may be drying out. Is there some kind of oil or oyster-squeezings to freshen them up? Would seawater help or harm?

I have quite a few loose individual pearls that are either shiny ruined garbage, or the semi-precious ornaments they are supposed to be.

Odds are they are still okay. But no, if a pearl is dried out/damaged, that can't be reversed.

Why not store them in organza bags instead? They they will get moisture from the air.

I have pearl necklaces and I don't keep them moist. They stay in my jewelry box and the humidity from the air is enough. If you kept them in a safe deposit box with low humidity, then they might dry out.

Pearls should not dry out in an air tight container, because it also keeps the moisture in.

We have always kept our stock in a safe in trays with cotton on bottom and top. Every time we handle them some body oil transfers. We don't worry too much because we hope to sell them fast enough. I see estate necklaces bought during the late 50's and 60's that haven't been worn and usually the color fades a bit and a bit duller. It is what happens. On the other hand old natural pearl strands usually worn more over decades don't fade or dull.

Thank you all for the responses! I figured if there was a way to restore dried pearls, it would have been mentioned on one of the many sites that talk about pearls and their care. But I had to ask to be sure.

Mine still look about as shiny as I remember them, so I should be in luck. I need to organize them and create an inventory list. I'll just go through them one at a time, handling them as much as possible to maintain their "health." And I'll consider organza bags, providing I can find them easily enough.

Back