overwhelmed - what size dangle earrings and will Hanadama be worth the cost increase

SLEFEVER

I've never owned anything but faux pearls. I'd like to purchase a set of akoya pearl earrings to wear with my ivory wedding dress in June. The dress is an Augusta Jones and the style is "Skyler", which has a demure neckline so I don't plan to wear a necklace.

I'm not really a stud earring person. I love a dangle pearl

A few questions...
1.) Will the akoya look okay with an ivory dress?
2.) What mm should I get for the dangle earrings since I won't have a necklace...8-8.5, 9.0-9.5? (I am more like 45 yrs old)

3.) Is there a big difference between AAA and Hanadama...enough difference to justify the price increase? Hanadama quality is nearly $100 more

4.) I feel overwhelmed in trying to decide between PS and PP...which one is the better choice and how do I differentiate between their rating systems?

Thank you for any help you can give me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi SLEFEVER!

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! What a lovely dress! I looked it up-- here's the link for other readers:
http://augustajones.com/detail/products/268/

I have that style earring dangle-- I bought my earrings from Pearl Paradise years ago, but set with Freshadama pearls (gem freshwater.) Mine are 8-9mm. If I had to buy again, I'd get a little larger pair. My ear lobes are large and the pearl looks a bit small as a dangle by comparison. Unless your earlobes are very small, I'd go larger, especially as you will not be wearing a necklace. These are mine....
Freshadama 8-9mm earrings

I see PP still carries the finding in white or yellow gold. I'm sure they can use it to set whichever pearls you choose; PP also carries ivory toned akoya pearls.

Here is a PP page showing dangle earrings (akoya, FW and South Sea) in various sizes and with plainer and fancier dangle findings.
https://www.pearlparadise.com/search?type=product&q=white+dangle+earrings

I guess it's up to you which vendor you prefer to buy from. I have bought many items from PP so can recommend them, but I have not bought from the Pearl Source.

As to rating systems, there is no universal grading system for pearls, unlike diamonds. Grades A-AAA is standard. Some vendors use A-AAAA but that is atypical and it seems to me they are just doing that to make it seem their pearls are better. I suggest you look at the grading explanation page on the vendors' websites to see what they mean by their grades. And buy from vendors with good return policies.

Hanadama pearls will have higher luster, yes. But AAA is also a perfectly good choice if saving a bit of money on the purchase is important, especially if you want to go larger. For that matter you could also buy gem grade freshwater pearls -- a more economical choice as the size goes up.

If you are not sure, you can ask for photos of several pairs of pearls and choose the pair you like best.

Last edited:
"White" pearls go with everything. Don't worry about matching your dress. And go bigger for dangles. 9 mm or bigger is a good size. PP also has drop shaped pearls in freshwater, if you like that look (which I do). I wear mine with fancy dresses and with jeans. Don't save them just for best.

When my son got married a few years ago, my gift to my new DIL was a set of Freshadama jewelry for the wedding. I contacted Pearl Paradise and actually sent them a sample of her wedding dress fabric (she also chose ivory), and had them pick matching pearls. As for size, my DIL took a look at my collection of different size pearls and picked the size she liked. In your case, the choice of Hanadama or AAA could come down to what they have in stock that looks best with your dress.

It's worth giving them a call to discuss.

Beautiful dress, and I agree that it doesn't really need a necklace.

My favorite drop earrings are 9-10 mm South Sea pearls. Akoya tend to be very expensive in the larger sizes, so I thought I'd toss that out there.

Best wishes for the wedding and the marriage!

I'd just say that the earring that is photoshopped onto the model's ear has been made to look MUCH larger than a typical (8 mm) akoya pearl would be, so you may want to take a look at actual pearls (in person) to decide what size would be a good scale for you. We all have different sized heads/earlobes/bodies, and this will make a big difference in terms of what looks good on you. You may find that an 8 mm akoya is perfect for you, or you may find that you want more of a statement (in which case, you may want to look at drop shaped pearls in either freshwater or white south sea, as they tend to come in larger sizes at still quite reasonable prices).

Good catch on the photoshopped earring on the model, cmd2014. That is definitely a larger pearl.

The OP has not returned to the forum since posting. Sometimes new members get discouraged when their initial post doesn't appear right away. Hopefully she'll be back to read the replies.

Congratulations, and how many ways are there to say Gorgeous Gown?!?

My favorite pearl drops are perfect tear-shape, cultured freshwater, from PP, 11mm long by 9mm wide pearls. Photos tomorrow.Click image for larger version  Name:	24C809BD-125F-49B4-B4AE-4C00407BC8BD.jpg Views:	1 Size:	188.6 KB ID:	387203Click image for larger version  Name:	4FCCB6A2-B833-495D-9511-17174B59275E.jpg Views:	1 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	387204Click image for larger version  Name:	447FA82A-D829-4185-A8C6-5007D901595C.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	387205

i wish I’d gotten a slightly larger drop now, and I plan to wear the drops with the stud. That’s a favorite look.

Attachments

• 4F85BE1B-3798-4FA4-AA02-69E3D5C21636.jpg
    4F85BE1B-3798-4FA4-AA02-69E3D5C21636.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Pattye, thank you for the compliment. You know it, drops are wonderful!

Except WOW, what the heck’s with the giant cheek, right??? I think I need to take it down and try again. Photo-sizing is still by-guess and by-gosh for me.

Back