Orient on Keshi Pearls

P

Perle

I saw a necklace of keshi (or is it keishi?) pearls today, nuggets of about 5-6mm. They were white but with a rainbow play of colors across them. My Freshadamas have a subtle play of colors (which is lovely!), but this was something different - a vibrant play of colors very easily observable from a distance. I've never seen colors like that on a round pearl, though I'm sure Zeide has some in her collection!

Someone mentioned that bleaching has a negative effect on orient - does that account for the difference? Or are there other factors (e.g., the shape, the host, maybe even color treatment)?

Perle

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to keshis, I'm posting a pic for everybody's reference. I assume not everyone has seen what Perle is talking about but I'm guessing it's the white keshis on the photo.

I can't really capture the wild water effect of the white keshis.:(

Attachments

• varkeshi.jpg
    varkeshi.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 47
It is a post-Christmas project. It has already started with the baroque and special colored strands. But it involves combing through fresh harvests for individual selection - something I definitely could not have accomplished with just a couple of days on the ground. But I will be making a small line with the next buy. I do not plan on advertising it on the Website, however. Too many browsers would immediately paint us as a scam if we were to post the age old eBay adage, "Not Treated". They will be for those consumers who know what they are buying and know what they want.

Untreated the orient is best in a bronze-lavender color (to me). It is also beautiful in the whites, but tends to have more of a creamy coloration. Almost like a cream with a slight hint of silver and rose. Several forum members did actually receive these when they were mentioned a few months ago. But before the demand I had not distinguished between treated and non, so when a request was made I had to sort the freshadama in the vault personally to determine which were not treated. There were only a few test kilos, so it was not an easy task.

The dyed strands are now being matched. I am hoping to have some amazing blacks here soon. We will see...! The early results last week were promising.

Thanks for posting the photos, Perlas! Yes, they were like the white ones. After reading Zeide's explanation, I'd now say that what I was struck by was the "wild water" of the keshi. But the "deep water" of the Freshadama is lovely, too - a subtle iridescence with an almost glassy finish.

Jeremy, do the untreated Freshadama have other advantages over treated Freshadama, e.g., are they more likely to maintain their beauty over time?

Perle

The freshadama are bleached, but not dyed. The black freshwater we are currently processing are dyed.
It is possible to tell the difference visually. The only size I have tried unprocessed is 7-8mm. We actually have another 7 kilos of unprocessed coming in next week, but those are completely unprocessed. They are not even drilled yet. But that entire lot is for one client.

Jeremy, how can you tell? I've noticed that, if you look very closely, some of the pearls have an interesting color pattern. It's like a ring of color, but only on part of the pearl. Not sure how to describe it, something like taking a pink Easter egg, then dipping only part of it in the color again. The ring starts around that spot, pink for example. I've seen some that are a bit green in the center. At first I thought this might be the "color spill" Zeide has mentioned before, but maybe it's due to the treatment process?

Perle

No, the colors are not due to the treatment process necessarily. The luster is the primary change. The untreated pearls still have similar colors, but a creamier body color.

I guess I should have prefaced that '7 kilo' thing. They are only 7000 per RMB kilo pearls, not quite the grade needed for freshadama, but would be top of the line necklace material. They are separated only for whites, and will be placed into a statue. This group did the same thing last year. I am now sure what it is all about, has something to do with Buddhism.

Thanks for the clarification. Jeremy, thanks also for your replies! You must be going crazy about now. Good luck with the holiday frenzy!

Perle

Jeremy,

You say the post-Christmas strands won't be advertised, but they will be for sale? Any way to get notified when they're ready or to pre-order?

Perle said:
I saw a necklace of keshi (or is it keishi?)...

I've oftened wondered when it was that the i was dropped and keshi came into common usage and who if anyone was responsible.

Some Sea of Cortez Keshis...with incredible color & orient: 100% Natural, no bleaching no dyeing...no nada.
:)

Enjoy!

Attachments

• Mini Keshis.jpg
    Mini Keshis.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 49
CortezPearls said:
Some Sea of Cortez Keshis...with incredible color & orient: 100% Natural, no bleaching no dyeing...no nada.
:)

Enjoy!

beautiful, especially the red ones

I like the blue, the gold(anything metallic), and the multi's, although the greens always catch my eye!
barbie

These keshis seem to have swirls of color in them that looks liquid and deep. I'm slightly under the weather and can't seem to process this morning. I love keshi colors. It's like you can reach into them. These silver ones I got this summer that were unreal and I am dying (no pun intended) to get some more. Haven't seen anything else quite like them. :p

Attachments

• fwkeshi.jpg
    fwkeshi.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 43
  • keshcu2.jpg
    keshcu2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 49
I think I'm in love.
Used to think round meant higher quality, better. Now although I do truly love Freshadama, my heart just flutters whenever I see a really beautiful keishi...Like the ones above. Are those rubies with the lighter colored ones?
barbie
Sheri; hope you feel better soon.

I think I'm in love.
Are those rubies with the lighter colored ones?
barbie
Sheri; hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, Barbie. They are cognac colored sapphires. They kind of change with the light too, from plummy color to deep wine.

I love those lavender keshi/keishi! The luster looks great, but then, the fact that they are odd shaped means they reflect the light from more places than a round pearl. All in all a glittering prize.

And then they're these. South Seas keshi (keishi, what is correct??). I'm plotting out what to do with those. Knot, tiny gold spacers, eat them up they're so yummy! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• sskeshiscu.jpg
    sskeshiscu.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 45
Back