Orient on Keshi Pearls

I've posted these before, but they are SO GORGEOUS another viewing won't hurt anyone. Almost makes you swear off round for good, don't they?

Attachments

• keishi.jpg
    keishi.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 44
Oh Yes! Keishi are just the best for orient! The goldens almost seem transparent, like one can look into them---
Knotty, those would stay out where I could view them all the time if they were mine!

I have some like that - thinner, real fine petals, and big, lots of orient etc. I look at them and think wow, then what on earth can I do with them.....I did make some earrings but I haven't really seen a good use for them.
Any ideas very welcome

Knotty Panda,
Those are absolutely gorgeous! It makes me itch to touch them.

Wendy, there has to be something that would do them justice. I'm not wild about them in bracelets - doesn't seem to show them off to best advantage. What were the earrings like? I would have thought that earrings would be a good idea, especially if you use several keshis in a chandelier style. Do you have a photo of the ones you made? What about using them in a large pendant?

here is my new necklace

here is my new necklace

I am a newbie here and have enjoyed reading all of the wonderful posts. I am a longtime gemstone fanatic. I think it was the keishi or second harvest (still confused about what to call the freshwater ones) that recently hooked me on pearls. I will attempt to attach a picture of my new keishi (second harvest??) freshwater pearl necklace. The flower also has a South Sea center with small SS keishi (?correct term) as accents. These glow in the dark--literally.

Attachments

• PA050005cropred.jpg
    PA050005cropred.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
That is so graceful! I love it.

Thanks so much. I just started making jewelry as a hobby, and this is my first pearl necklace. It was such a wonderful feeling to work with these beautiful, "eccentric" shapes and textures.

Delicious colors, too! Love the variety of pearls. I just call the freshwater keishi also, too confusing otherwise.

Hi When I first got here, I called keshi "keishi"- rhymes with heishi.

But it is keshi with an "eh" sound as in "get"

I would use keshi as a term for freshwater second growths only in a very casual way, but I think the term should be adopted.

Last edited:
Just caught that pic now Knotty, hows that for orient eh!!

Beautiful keshi necklace,Claudenancy, but could you specify if they're all South Sea keshis or just the ones in the flower? Also, about them glowing in the dark. Is that just for a few minutes after you put the lights out or all night long? Does anyone know why pearls would do this?

clarification

clarification

Hi Andrew. I was not very clear was I? I will attach a close up of the flower. The only South Sea pearls in the necklace are the ringed pearl that constitutes the center of the flower and the very small ones that ring the flower. Obviously the central pearl is not keshi but an irregular ringed cultured SS pearl.

Also I did overstate the glow factor--I should have said that thay have a shimmery glow in low light conditions such as light from a distant candle only. As far as I know these are not treated, and I am fairly confident that they are not radioactive!!!!

I am glad to meet another newbie to the forum.

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 49
Thanks, Claudenancy, for the close-up photo and the extra details. Somehow it seems more beautiful when you better understand the make-up of any particular piece. It may not increase its dollar value but it certainly increases one's appreciation for it. Newbie or not you know how to pick a fantastic necklace!

Hi Andrew, Pattye and all who replied. Thanks for your kind words and clarifications. I did really enjoy making the necklace. These pearls spoke to me--some really wanted to be a flower, but the flower was difficult to make especially since if was made as an integral part of the necklace and not attached as a unit. I am not sure that I will ever try another one like that!

Andrew, I did find a thread on this forum that addressed pearls that glowed in the dark for a short period. Did you see that one? I think it is indexed under natural pearls.

Congratulations! I think it's a beautiful necklace and very creative. How long is it? Can you double it? It be great to see a "model" shot (everyone's always asking for more here!). I really love the asymmetry of it.

hi Sleight: Sorry for my tardy response. I have been intending to have my husband snap some pics of the necklace being worn--but I have not found another "model", and I have to be in a really good mood to permit my pic to be taken! I promise I will do it soon though.

Although the necklace could be worn as one strand, it is designed to be worn as two necklaces--either together or separately. THe longer, simpler strand is 19 inches, and the shorter strand is 16.5 inches. Worn together they are much more of a "presence". Sometimes I wear the longer one by itself--it tends to be appropriate in professional venues in which I occasionally find myself . (I am semi-retired, and love it!!)

Thank you for the very generous comments. Again, apologies for my procrastination.

Regards, Beth

Dear Beth:
Feel free to procrastinate. Especially as the fruit of your procrastination is so generously shared! Thank you,
barbie

Thanks Barbie--I needed that!!

Well, I finally caught my husband as he was walking out the door--I was in a good enough mood to be shot at least from chin down!! Did not want to have to get all dolled up for a real pic--and as I approach closely the big "6" decades day, I think I am entitled.

THe pic below clearly shows that these necklaces, when worn together, need to be put on in front of a mirror--and I was not. I let my husband (who was in a hurry) do the adjustment--who pronounced it fine. However, these are a obviously askew from their best position.

Attachments

• PA050016 red.jpg
    PA050016 red.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 47
Gosh Claudenancy,
It's beautiful - the iridescence, wow !

Back