Akoya Opera Strand vs SSP Pendant?

CrazyMissy

I know I told myself I probably won't buy anything after my Jewelmer purchase, hehehe... famous last words. :p Here I am, planning my white pearl set. :p

Here's the deal: I'm always a pendant and stud person. I work with my hands so nothing much there, just a watch and my wedding ring. I just noticed that some of my office clothes would look better with a simple white accessory, hence the search of another pearl set. A part of me also wants my workhorse smallies to rest a bit.

So I was already researching for a good pendant... until I "stumbled" into the nearby Mikimoto store. Oops! :rolleyes: ;) I tried on their Double 8 strand, 8.0-8.8 mm, 88cm in length (see the pattern here? :p ) One try, and I'm all "I'm not sure how the heavens can help me, but I think I need one of these!".

i just want to throw this out there, especially for those who own both (which based on the post, most of the members here do!): is it worth buying an akoya rope/opera strand? How's the mileage (a.k.a frequency of use) of an akoya strand as compared to your ssp pendant? I am a bit concerned with the thin nacre associated with akoyas, but a nice long strand looks fun on an otherwise ho-hum office wear. And well, a long ssp strand is way out of budget... for now! (A girl can dream!)

Thoughts?

If you want great then I would get a spectacular WSS large pendant and matching earrings. Check out Paspaley and Autore for genuine Australian South Sea pearls. I think that the pendant and earrings would work with everything. The long strand is nice but if you wanted something long I'd consider a necklace with harpoon clasps( the push in clasp that you can set into a pearl so there is no visible clasp) that can be worn linked together for a long strand or worn separately for two different lengths as say a 41cm and 47cm (theres your 88)

Last edited:
My suggestion - get one amazing white south sea pearl and get it set on an enhancer. Then you can wear it with a plain chain, a jewel chain (handmade chain with added eg pearls/tiny gemstones), the small white rounds (why not get really good freshwaters?) rope and...and...

I love ropes because I can see the pearls all the time and can wear them long or doubled. I have both akoya ropes and recently purchased a white SSP rope and love each one of them. They may all be white but they are different sizes and the whites are very different. The wssp white is more of a bluish tint and they are really smooth... they are just very different from akoyas. I'm really not going to be much help here bc I also have pendants and shorter necklaces that I wear. The ones I wear least would be the 16-18" strands because it gets so hot where I live and I don't want to wear my strands when I might sweat. I do mix my pendants and ropes together often, so I think you'll be happy with one of each. :D

I also love ropes because I like see and play with my pearls. Two of my ropes either have a disco ball clasp, which I wear on the side, so it does double duty as a brooch. But I've replaced all my other clasps with orbit clasps, so I can link ropes and shorter necklaces together to make longer ropes. If I link two necklaces together I can adjust the length to fit my neckline of my clothing. If the necklaces work well stand alone, that's fine, but sometimes it helps to double them so I can make the shorter one appear longer and the longer one appear shorter. Does that make sense?

@katbran: I was looking at Paspaley's online store and their classic Lavaliere pendant caught my eye. however, I do have concerns with the gold net scratching the big pearl. doing a bit more research, will check autore, thanks!

@pearlescence: i haven't encountered an enhancer yet, but it does sound like the clasp of a bracelet charm? like pandora? let me check this one out, i like the idea that a pendant can be worn elsewhere and not just on a gold chain. thanks!

@amti & BWeaves: sounds like i'll need both a rope and a pendant, hahaha! seriously though, i like the way pearl jewelry can be worn differently. they can be alone, stacked, made long or short, and this enhancer makes it a pendant and a brooch. it's like lego for women! ;)

Back