I would like to 'Buy & Sell' Real Pearls, any suggestions where to start?

treasure

I am from Cebu and I'm really interested in buying and selling pearls/corals to make into necklaces and bracelets. I don't have any idea where to start or what to do. Any suggestions, please?

You should work for an established business and see if you even like working in one before you jump into owning your own business.

Or if you're already into making the jewelry, you could create an Etsy shop.

My point was that this person has no idea of anything to do with a commercial operation beyond a vague idea. But wants forum members to tell him or her (after two posts of membership) how they have spent (in several cases including me) 15-20 years building and learning.
Not sure what this person wants, but it is not the hard work, long hours and mistakes which come from having one's own business
On a plate comes to mind
(or perhaps I am just being cross today)

Wendy, I kind of had the same reaction you did. Before I began my business, I did years (literally) of research, and then spent time learning (I am still learning, and never intend to stop!) how to create, capture, buy, price, etc. The advice and encouragement I have received here have been so helpful. Bottom line is that there is no one formula for creating a successful business...that's something you have to define for yourself.

Haha Katbran! Thanks!
However. Some actual advice to treasure
You start by buying some pearls and then finding out how to sell them. That's how most of us started - including both me and Jeremy.
Buying pearls is the very easy part - you just throw money at sellers . Then the really hard work starts. If you have never sold anything before in your life, and you know nothing about pearls beyond a vague idea the business might be a business...

JP is right about the spending money ! Don't bet the family farm on this ....you need to think carefully about what you want to sell and who you want to sell to. I would seriously take some extra money ..not the kids college fund...and start small . Set up an ETSY or Amazon type store ..lots of different platforms out there and see how you go . Lots of knowledge needs to be acquired before you buy or you won't get what you pay for. ..

Sure I understand business needs sacrifices, sweat and tears over millenias. But treasure is just asking a question. No means to simplify how to start a business. Those replies if Im like really just pop up to a thread and read it I probably wouldnt bother to go back to this forum. It will drive people away. Why not suggest something if you want to without being harsh or cynical about it. Just my 2 cents. But what do I know? I know nothing about pearls either. Dont crucify me please.

I would recommend taking the Pearls as One course and learning as much about pearls (and coral which is not covered in this course) as you can. Study pictures and read about characteristics between the different pearl types and coral. You'll learn to recognize fakes and poor quality through photos. Don't believe everything sellers tell you online unless it is a reputable pearl company. Many, and I repeat, many jewelry stores don't have a clue about pearls, and there are so many mistakes on them and coral it is a joke. I see appraisals that are incorrect, so don't trust those either. Before you buy, you have to know what to look for, what good price to pay is, and what to do with your purchase. The more you know, the more you'll realize you need to learn. It isn't easy to start, but a place like Etsy might be a good start to sell your jewelry and get ideas. The only time I trust what I read is if the pearl is identified as a freshwater pearl.

Back