UV light & PearL ID.

Camelotshadow

I have long wondered how the different types of pearls react to UV light.

This article seems to say akoys & freshwater show blue white while south sea will show blue green.

I always thought thaat the blue green might signify a cultured pearl but don't know if its specific to a type of pearl.

I have no known soth sea pearls so I can't test them.

I do have pearls that don't respond to UV light & some that glow a blue green.

https://cortezpearls.wordpress.com/2013/03/23/the-uv-light-test-part-2/

"The Akoya and Freshwater pearls (left & middle) have a remarkably similar glow (pure white-blue) and the South Seas one (right) has a greenish-blue cast to it."

My 2 new "south sea" pearls glow strong blue green as did the pair I sold that I thought were akoya.

My mikimoto glow blue green so they have to be akoya as Mikimoto certified them. That would mean that akoya can glow blue green. All 3 of my akpya strands glows blue green so apparently blue green glow does not signfy south sea.
Why did this test find akoya & freshwater to glow blue white?

My unknown 8.3mm pearl ring also glows blue green

I am searching for some way to id south sea pearls in comparison to akoya & freshwater.

Attachments

• UV Pearl P1020243.jpg
    UV Pearl P1020243.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 89
The only definite UV light reaction I know is that Sea of Cortez pearls glow pink.

I don't think there's a way of determining other types of pearls using UV light.

I agree with BWeaves-- Cortez pearls show red under UV but that's the only definitve UV pearl test I know of.

Drats...

Seems my new "south seas" bought glow pretty blue green. Hoping it would mean something.

Thanks

My copy of the Newman R book notes someone who seems to thinkbatural pearl show sky blue under UV but its vague & then says they can show even if they are grown near cultivated waters. Does not really make sense. I would think it would be something different with the bead nucleus but in most cases they are shell...river?

Anyway there is differences in the bluein my pearls. The newest unk said ot be south sea is the brightest skky blue. others are ble but not as glowing & the yellow pearl has a sort of greenish blue..

Hard to see in photos but it gives a different perspective on the pearl.

Attachments

• UV light P1030033 red.jpg
    UV light P1030033 red.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 74
  • UV light P1030040 red.jpg
    UV light P1030040 red.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 63
  • UV Pearl P1020243 red.jpg
    UV Pearl P1020243 red.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 72
I think the various pearls may give different colors of blue or blue green, but I don't think it's enough to say "Color A = SS pearl" if you know what I mean. Whereas the Sea of Cortez pearls have a definite color that screams Sea of Cortez.

Back