Vacuum packed oyster opening parties on Facebook

Sally2016

Hi can anyone tell me if the vacuum packed Akoya sea water oyster Pearls from Japan that guarantee a pearl in every shell are originally grown in the host oyster or "placed" in the vacuum packed oyster? It seems to good to be true to get a pearl in every oyster, that's perfectly round and sometimes has twins and sometimes triplets. Also can someone tell me how they are so cheap? Are they nucleated with a plastic bead. Has anyone cut one open? I have seen lots of oyster opening parties on Facebook live and am sceptical

Oyster opening parties on Facebook

Oyster opening parties on Facebook

Are the pearls produced from the oysters faux or real? Are the pearls implanted into the host oyster, or cultivated in the host oyster? How can a Perfectly round Pearl be guaranteed in each oyster? Are the Pearls nucleated with mother of pearl shell, a freshwater pearl or a plastic bead?. Most oyster opening parties claim their oysters are Akoya seawater grade AAA from Japan. Is this true as very cheap to buy wholesale.
Here is a picture from a oyster opening party on Facebook. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1803.jpg
    IMG_1803.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 34
Welcome, Sally2016!

The pearls are real, cultured Chinese freshwater pearls (in the case of the black ones, they are dyed) and typically they are placed in akoya (saltwater) oyster shells to make it seem as though they originally were cultured in the host oysters. The shells are treated chemically, the oysters are dead.

The pearls are inexpensive. Chinese cultured freshwater pearls are very abundant! Whatever value the finished jewelry has is in the setting.

We've had some other informative threads recently about these types of pearls, which you may enjoy reading:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?10787-Anybody-heard-of-Vantel-pearls

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...Akoya-round-Pearls-at-least-AA&highlight=scam

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...Divers-quot-scam-Is-any-of-their-jewelry-good

Even when packed up individually in a box and with a plated fitting these things cost $1 or so on Aliexpress
Avoid would be my recommendation

Looking at the picture of pearls would you say these are freshwater pearls or seawater pearls nucleated with a plastic bead to give the round appearance? The party hosts are saying they are grade AAA Akoya seawater pearls from a wholesaler in Japan

Definitely Chinese freshwater pearls. Akoya pearls do not come in natural pink and lavender colors, while freshwaters do, commonly.

Looking at the picture of pearls would you say these are freshwater pearls or seawater pearls nucleated with a plastic bead to give the round appearance? The party hosts are saying they are grade AAA Akoya seawater pearls from a wholesaler in Japan

Either the party host is being lied to or the host is misrepresenting them. They are not from Japan. They are not akoya. They are not saltwater. They are all commercial grade Chinese freshwater pearls and two of them are dyed.

Jeremy what value would you put on these pearls in the picture? And how are they nucleated? I was told my pearls from an oyster opening party on Facebook are Akoya and worth about £45 each.

Jeremy what value would you put on these pearls in the picture? And how are they nucleated? I was told my pearls from an oyster opening party on Facebook are Akoya and worth about £45 each.

They are nucleated with a tissue graft are are not round. That is important because that means they are necklace material and not loose grade, which is much more expensive and typically reserved for earrings, pendants and rings. I am guessing they are in the 6-7 mm range.

Wholesale, they are worth less than a dollar apiece. In a retail environment (in a strand) maybe $2-$4 apiece.

How much would a good quality Akoya pearl cost for a bulk order of 100 undrilled?

Last edited:
would you say these freshwater pearls are nucleated with mother of Pearl Shell or a plastic bead? What are good quality loose seawater Pearls nucleated with?

Sally, as Jeremy said in post #9, these freshwater pearls have a tissue graft nucleus-- no bead of any kind inside. Just a bit of mantle tissue from a donor mussel.

Akoya pearls, regardless of quality, are nucleated with a bead made from thick freshwater shells from American rivers.

If we've not done so maybe we can post pictures of the end result (not the brands, cans, bags etc) but the plated cages and pearls, might be a good reference to go along with the text references.

Are the pearls produced from the oysters faux or real? Are the pearls implanted into the host oyster, or cultivated in the host oyster? How can a Perfectly round Pearl be guaranteed in each oyster? Are the Pearls nucleated with mother of pearl shell, a freshwater pearl or a plastic bead?. Most oyster opening parties claim their oysters are Akoya seawater grade AAA from Japan. Is this true as very cheap to buy wholesale.
Here is a picture from a oyster opening party on Facebook. What do you think?
Can anyone tell me how you go about ordering pearls for the pearl parties like the ones they do on Facebook? Seems like a good business to get into!

Sorry to sound so harsh (well not really), but nobody here is going to enable this sham of reselling cheap pearls or shoddy trinkets for outrageous prices. No less perpetuating lies and offering fraudulent appraisals as a charlatan.

Seriously. If you want to cut the throats of honest farmers and vendors for your own greed while looking like a ignoramus in the meanwhile... try China, on your own time and bandwidth.

Person shows up late in thread, hasn't read a dern thing and says "Hey, looks good, hold my beer".
Would be faster to directly pick pocket people.

Just because you can scam people doesn't mean you should. This pearl in an oyster thing has brought out a level of bottom feeders I have never seen.

After watching several different "pearl party" openings on Facebook, I began digging and ultimately landed here. Admittedly, I had no real interest in pearls until now, but the whole "surprise inside" thing is embarrassingly enticing. But before I sent money off, I decided to search for the oysters in shell myself, and of course, found them on Aliexpress. Now... I know a lot of the pearl connoisseurs here are going to judge me (secretly or openly) but I ordered 50 for my daughters and I to do ourselves. I was already suspicious, but it looked like fun. They arrived today, along with our "plated" little cages ... hey... at less then $5 each, it's still worth the fun imo, but I'm not asking about that. ( the little pearls inside are pretty... slightly mishappen, but my teen daughters love them and can't wait to invite friends over to open the rest... do not worry, I will be completely honest with them about how they were made, and the lack of monetary value... AND we will be wearing gloves. ) But after doing a lot of research, and reading several threads here, I have gotten quite the pearl education! I'm also kind of excited about buying pearls of real value in the future! So... my question is about this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Who...2416489346.html?spm=2114.40010208.4.41.6lKnJe Based on all that I have learned, these seem to be actual cultured fresh water pearls in their original oyster... amiright? Curious. I'm not going to invest more money in these anytime soon, but the thrill of opening them ourselves is hard to pass up. Thoughts? ( I know, I know... you will likely look down on this too, but real value aside, the excitement lies in "discovering" them yourself, ya know?) Are these at least legit?

Back