A misnomer?

Your enthusiasm is contagious Caitlin! It would be very cool to have a freshwater grading scale. Why isn't there one already?

By the way, I just received one of Jeremy's 10-11mm freshadama strands. Holy Cow! It's spectacular! If my digitcal camera was presently working (long unfortunate story involving small children), I would post some photos of it, though I'm sure Jeremy has much better ones from his studio. Though, I personally wish that all the vendors would photograph at least some of their strands on living, breathing human models as it gives a much better sense of proportion and scale.

youngster

Hi Youngster,

I second that motion. It would even be more helpful to have the strands shown on both a 5-foot and a 6-foot model. Some vendors manage to recruit models of pixie proportions that are none too helpful for Valkyries like moi.

Zeide

Can you imagine the confusion if we were to try to grade per Tavernier? I am sure our French customers would appreciate it, but many others may getting confused with grain and carat approximations!

I do think it is important to note, however, even on the top quality freshwater pearls bleaching is still going to be part of the process. I firmly believe it brings out the beauty of pearls, and without any bleaching the ratios would just be too low from a merchant's standpoint.

Hi Jeremy,

The pearls of Tavernier's time were also bleached, albeit only sun bleached. The Chinese pearl factories have already long ago abolished the Clorox-dunking technique in favor of hydrogen peroxide. Actually the results of sunbleaching are better and you do not get significant deproteinization which may later result in undesirable pearl growth which is always going to be lumpy, bumpy, and devaluing. Virtually all modern pearl bleaching treatments result in deproteinization (which is their whole point because the colored conchiolin is causing the pearl to be other than white to begin with). The long tradition of short-cultured pearls has created an expectation that the pearls are going to be worn out and tossed long before the hydrogen bridges in the conchiolin residue can reestablish themselves. If that happens, environmental calcium will start crystallizing on the edges of the conchiolin as it refolds and reaches the pearl surface. The result is pearl growth and a reversion to original color. Nabatee, sindaali, and jiwan are also fine pearl colors. They do not all have to be abiyadh. There is a lot to learn when one wants to bring back the old pearl standards. Anyhow, the freshadamas that I got from you were not deproteinized and thus probably not bleached.

Zeide

oops I posted this on the wrong thread....
Hi Jeremy
Well I can not argue the merits of any system, having not studied them- and I definately like sticking to grams etc. but it is clear we need to be able to grade luster and natural colors with more finesse. This is one I would like to see experts weigh in on though!

While it may be that many CFWP will continue to be bleached, I hope not all of them will be- If my untreated strand is any indication, some do not need it.

Yes, Caitlin. Those were completely unbleached. They were nice, but I could have made them even nicer.

They do not all have to be abiyadh. There is a lot to learn when one wants to bring back the old pearl standards. Anyhow, the freshadamas that I got from you were not deproteinized and thus probably not bleached.
I hate to tell you this, Zeide, but I believe I sent you one of the 8+ strands - they were all bleached. The only non-bleached freshadama were about 50 strands of the 7-8mm.

Well, I may be crazy, but just got a call from someone on the ground at JCK and I am now heading to the airport. No rest for the weary!

Last edited:
Caitlyn,

I agree there should be a grading system for FWP. It is amazing how just between the sores arround here how litle is really known about pearls! I found that some mid grade chain stires here were selling worse quality that what I use for beading in FWP I was astonished!

Cheers
Ash

It would be really interesting to see a detailed side-by-side comparison pic of unbleached freshadama and bleached freshadama, wouldn't it? (hint, hint)

I second that mikehrz! I'd love to see a discussion, along with photographs, of the processing that freshadama go through, though I understand it to be minimal.

OH MY GOODNESS (screams with delight!)!!!!!!!!!!! Utterly breathtaking! I have seen a lot of freshwater pearls in the past, but this is truly amazing! I can see my reflection like a mirror and they are just so, I can't explain it.
Thank you all for your inputs!

Hi Joyful One (so appropriately named, by the way!:) ),
Your reaction was similar to mine when I received my freshadama strands. (I have some in 8-9 mm and another in 10-11 mm). Please post your jewelers reaction. That should be fun! Also, what size did you end up with?

youngster

I got the 9/10mm necklace in a sixteen inch. I am thinking about the 10/11 now. What did you think about yours? I got the white strand but I am really thinking about the purple in a next size larger. And you best believe I am going to tell y'all what the jewelers think then I take this in!

My 10/11 mm white strand is stunning. My 8-9's are also in white and are also beautiful. That is the strand I compared to other jewelry store strands. (It is also the strand I took into my own independent appraiser and posted about in another thread. In a nutshell, he thought they were great.) However, there is something about the 10-11 mm. They're just bigger and just that much more beautiful. Can't say enough about them.

Regarding the lavender, I have purchased and returned a couple of different lavender strands, both AAA. Not because they weren't lovely but because I can't seem to decide if I like them with my very fair skin and very dark hair. (Think Italian.) I now have a lavender freshadama strand and am still deciding if its a keeper. So,think about your skin coloring and call and talk to Mia or Anna or Kirsten. There are "different" lavenders and they might be able to make some suggestions regarding which might be best for you.

Hi Youngster
I would really like to see which color you end up with-
Hi Joyful
Looks like you have a real heirloom strand and one you can wear a lot.

I am so glad to see the enthusiasm -and joy!- that a great string of pearls gives its wearer and I sure wish I could see pictures!

Hi Caitlin,
I'm definitely keeping the white strands but just trying to determine if I like this latest lavender strand, that has some bronze in it. If I can snap some photos this weekend, I'll try to post some.

youngster

jshepherd said:
I do not mind answering this for Stephen so I get the C&D instead of him;)
Thank you for answering for me.. :D I don't really have anything to add to that response except that there are multiple sources for the information in my report - the link that was posted is just a good example since they are the ones that product the tags.

Joyful One - It is a shame that you were cut off when you asked if the information was true or false. Personally I would have taken that as the answer :)

Back