Who Does Pearl Strand Work?

Sea Urchin

I have a half dozen pearl strands that I would like to have re-strung on PowerPro and with Mystery Clasps.

First, I like my metals to match and with no visible clasp, my strands will always go with any earrings.

Second, it will cut down on or eliminate having to restring in the future. PowerPro is like fishing line so it's durable and cleanable. And there would be no gimp, which is always the first thing to need replacing on my strands currently.

But I can't find anyone who wants to do it.

Does anyone know who might want to take this on? Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Yes you do have to drill the hole bigger to accommodate the “ mystery clasp”.

There are various styles of mystery clasp mechanism, each having its own requirements, it isn’t a one size fits all situation for installing and working with the clasp during the rethread.

Have you contacted the seller of the clasps? perhaps they can provide you some guidance on installing the clasps you have purchased.

Thanks for sharing this tutorial, Pattye. It does look like an arduous task. Think I'll stick with gimp over your Serafil thread!

Cees and Katbran to I think use that nifty hidden clasp and japanese wire sometimes. Maybe they can do it. I have never had Cees strung my pearls with that, though the thought have crossed my mind several times. Mostly because I end up rearranging them anyway.
Maybe Pattye or Wendy could do it otherwise, I know that they have pearl drills at least.

How are your strands strung now? Will the end pearls have to be drilled out to accept the mystery clasp? I can understand why you'd like this clasp feature.

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering why I've never seen this done before because it makes sense to me. Currently, my strands have the usual typical gold ball clasps with the gimp. (I have about six strands)

I don't own any mystery clasps and the end pearls are not drilled out for them.

I am hoping to find someone who can do the whole thing, re-string my strands on PowerPro, drill out the end pearls and install mystery clasps that they attain. Preferably in the US.

Would you be interested? :)

Also, thanks to everyone else so far as well. :)

Last edited:
I have both mystery and usual (gimp/clasp). With the former I have quite a few different "systems". Frankly, my concern with mystery clasps is restringing if needed or wanted. Given a choice, I do not ever choose mystery systems anymore...

That's the issue. I hope the wire on my GSS from Cees never breaks, because I don't have a clue how I'd restring them with the hidden clasp. I think I'd probably have to just replace the 2 end pearls and restring with thread and a regular clasp.

Gosh, and Dear Anna, Cliclasp, our invisible clasp expert is way over in France!

Sea Urchin, You'll need to find someone who does this sort of clasp often. It requires precision every step of the way. I have no experience setting these clasps, or I would offer. I am intrigued by the versatility, for sure. I hope you'll find the right person to work with you on this!

Thanks, Pattye, and everyone. I didn't think about possible problems if I ever needed or wanted to re-string strands with a mystery clasp. I would still like to get it done but may have to give up on it anyway, if no one I know of and who is in the US can do it... :(

Last edited:
Thanks, Pattye, and everyone. I didn't think about possible problems if I ever needed or wanted to re-string strands with a mystery clasp. I may have to give up on it anyway, if no one I know of and who is in the US can do it... :(

I believe PP works with mystery clasps. They sell them and might be able to help. But frankly, I would avoid them.

I believe PP works with mystery clasps. They sell them and might be able to help. But frankly, I would avoid them.

PP said they don't do mystery clasps anymore. Thanks for the try, though.

Last edited:
I used to average two to three strands a week, one of the challenges is that there are various systems each with their own ‘personality’ so to speak, on how to install them, and how to thread and re-thread, some are more pearl stringer friendly than others.

My advise would be, if you do find someone in the USA, don’t get them all strung at once, as you may find that they are not for you.

They are still available on the market so stringers must be out there buying and stringing with them 😀

Lastly - here’s a post I wrote in 2009

restringing-pearls-with-a-Mystery-clasp
06133A00-7C11-42AB-9955-B0AC9DFA4C95.jpg

Thanks, Bernadette. I will definitely try just one or two at a time. I've contacted American Pearl because I notice they have mystery clasps on their site. No idea if they'll service strands they didn't sell, though.

They might. I mean, this is a true and tried service that attracts customers.
And no harm is ever done just by asking.

Back