Pearls at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show, February 2005

Caitlin

There will be many high end pearl strands and pearl creations at this show. While wholesale pearls will not be available at this show at the fantastic prices they sell for in Asia, there will be literally thousands of dealers there who will have some pearls, finished and/or loose. I plan on checking out booths and collecting cards for the first 10 days to further my education. If I make any buys, they will be samples I buy in the last day or two of the show. I would like to report my findings as I think other members’ pearls will compare favorably in quality and price for finished product and they can respond to my posts to point that out! ;)

Right now I plan to visit the AGTA show and see the Stuller booths where they will have some Paspaley pearls. I know Stuller sells only finished Paspaley merchandise- only to the trade, but I hope to report some descriptions of their merchandise and approximate retail prices. I am still scouting for other purveyors of Paspaley- as well as Filipino pearls. I will ask about Persian Gulf pearls and if anyone has any, I will go to heaven! Because these will be solid nacre salt water pearls…..my ideal!

Carolyn Ehret will have a booth where her pricey Mexican and Kasumiga strands will be displayed. As a collector as well as designer, she has many unique pieces with unique pearls, which should be very educational.

And I just found the American Pearl Company that produces freshwater pearls near Nashville Tennessee. They brag online about the luster of their highly irregular and funny shaped pearls. Their retail prices are also steep, but I am delighted that at least one American family is pearl farming!

I have seen the Chinese dealers with their tables piled high with hanks of stones and beads and freshwater pearls for years.This year I will be looking for the best of these, of course. I want to see some AAA luster on FW pearls!

Check back for updates!

Back