Need help with my "vintage" Caribe brand, I think Akoya pearls!

mrsmeghand

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me :)

I've been reading some chats on here and doing a lot of searches on a graduating strand of Caribe Genuine Cultured Pearls, like 68 pearls. I believe they might be Akoya, but don't hold me to that. They come in a black box from Japan. They are beautiful and in great condition. I believe from the 40s/ 50s maybe :confused: They were my grandmother's mother's pearls. I did the touch and tooth test and they passed for genuine pearls, I think. They have a clasp that has writing on the back that I cannot read. The clasp is the only thing that is worn! I'm attaching pictures. Does anyone know anything about these specific pearls, or how much they are worth?

Thank you! I really appreciate your help!

Meg 864.jpg865.jpgPB130056PB130013872.jpg

Really?!?! All these views and nobody knows anything about these? Are these just a piece of crappy jewelry that nobody has the heart to tell me? Please, if they are, just tell me. I know nothing about these and can't find any definitive information. I also do not want to pay $30-$50 to have the appraised if they aren't even worth that much. Please help! I'm begging you all!:confused:

Even though there are a lot of photos, they are not in sharp enough focus to tell for sure exactly what they are. Can you get someone with a better camera to help you take some sharper closeups? They most likely are akoya cultured pearls. I wouldn't bother with the expense of appraising them. :) It's a beautiful vintage necklace, for sure.

Sometimes posts fall through the cracks and are missed. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon.

Last edited:
How large are the pearls/ How long is the necklace? Have you tried cleaning the clasp with a damp cloth to see if that makes the mark more clear?

Please don't take offense. Sometimes the people reading your post aren't the ones with the experience to evaluate what you've put up, or the information is incomplete.

Last edited:
When I looked at your thread before, the photos hadn't been approved yet. I suspect I wasn't the only one who was waiting to be able to see your photos before commenting. GemGeek is right-- in-focus close-up shots will help us see them better.

Many graduated strands of akoyas were sold in WWII/Korean War era to soldiers and other personnel working in Japan. The graduation made the pearls more affordable.

I looked online for other listings of that brand but only came up with this strand sold in 2008, which doesn't show the price the item sold for unless you subscribe:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/caribe-genuine-cultured-pearls

If you check on eBay for "sold" listings of vintage graduated pearl strands, you will get an idea of what these strands sell for. Apart from Mikimoto, they do not seem to command a high price. These pearls often have lovely luster and thicker nacre than many akoyas being sold today, and can be very wearable if you clean them up and restring them.

They are probably marked Sterling on the back. Have another look and see if you can make that out. Looks like silver. They do appear to be Akoya pearls and the timeline is correct for that.

Akoya necklaces such as these sell from around $100 to $300 and up depending just how nice they are. Just get a silver polishing cloth and clean up the clasp. You could give them a gentle wash. Look up Caring for Pearls here on the Pearl-Guide.

Wear them and enjoy them. They look lovely.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

MrsMegan,
I am new here too.... I cant offer you help with your pearls as I am here to get help and learn myself. But I can tell you this. you will not find a better group to assist you with pearls issues. Please be patient , give them time to get the photo's after they are approved. This is the best forum on the internet as far as I ma concerned, stick around.
you will become a junkie to these folks forums as I have...
Welcome to the coffee shop.....lol

Did you ever get an answer to this?

Did you ever get an answer to this?

I have a strand of Caribe pearls that I wear all the time, though I do not know their value. I have some documentation - but not 100% sure. These were my dad's mom's, but the documentation I have say they were purchased by my mom's dad (who was USAF) in 1967 for 204.30 USD. It also says opera-length pearls, and mine are 18"inch (with the same exact clasp as yours, but says sterling). Mine are all the same size, ~6mm. So, I suspect this documentation is for my mother's pearls. I remember when they were given to me in 1985, and my mother telling me I couldn't wear them because they were too expensive (I was a teenager). I even remember her saying a really high number (800). I had them restrung when I was in college. I don't care how expensive they are (or are not), I love the way they feel on my bare skin.

I've been reading some chats on here and doing a lot of searches on a graduating strand of Caribe Genuine Cultured Pearls, like 68 pearls. I believe they might be Akoya, but don't hold me to that. They come in a black box from Japan. They are beautiful and in great condition. I believe from the 40s/ 50s maybe :confused: They were my grandmother's mother's pearls. I did the touch and tooth test and they passed for genuine pearls, I think. They have a clasp that has writing on the back that I cannot read. The clasp is the only thing that is worn! I'm attaching pictures. Does anyone know anything about these specific pearls, or how much they are worth?

Thank you! I really appreciate your help!

MegView attachment 25220View attachment 25221View attachment 25222View attachment 25223View attachment 25224

Last edited by a moderator:
Back