Blue grey akoya pearls

Adeline Leigh

I have a couple of 16" strands of blue grey akoyas that I bought years ago from a shop that was closing down - $78 each. I bought 4 such strands, some rounds, some semi-baroques ranging from 6-12mm.

I recently sold some off but when I tried to replenish my stock I was flabbergasted at the prices these blue-greys now command. Can anyone shed light? Are blue grey akoyas THAT rare? Why the premium on such pearls (blue-grey versus silver-grey)? Any recommendations for suppliers, please? 048.jpg017.jpg

I got a long strand of blue grey akoyas bought from ES pearls ages ago for a very good price. I may restring it as a double strand now that they are hip again.

DK :D

You can indirectly blame JS for bringing them to the attention of other vendors! ;)

PP has a gorgeous natural blue strand for sale, way out of my league though!

DK :)

yes, beautiful Madamas

Attachments

• Madama.jpg
    Madama.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 43
Hmm, couldnt see the attachment, Alex. And DK, lucky you.

Thanks for chiming in everyone, I mean, they are pretty (and I can't even afford premium grade) but I'm just wondering at the prices they are now going for... realistically, WHOA!

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while, but I wanted to post and thank you all for introducing me to these blue akoyas. I've never seen them before--so beautiful! I just ordered the earrings from PP that match the necklace posted above. I don't usually make a purchase so fast, but I really couldn't resist. I'll post a picture when they arrive.

I've learned so much in the last few weeks--thank you!!

Lucky you, then, Marnie. They are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks Alex for the pic.

Marnie show them to us when they arrive, ya?

And can I ask, how grossed out will you be if you saw spotted akoyas like this? I keep looking and looking and frankly recoiling but at the same time I'm intrigued. Experts, anyone knows why and how these have come about? I'm worried these are akin to pearls from ill oysters or is it mussels?

Attachments

• spots.jpg
    spots.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 31
Marnie, that's the very best way to purchase pearls, I think. See them, feel your heart pound, then go buy them. Love at first sight!

Lucky you, then, Marnie. They are absolutely gorgeous. Thanks Alex for the pic.

Marnie show them to us when they arrive, ya?

And can I ask, how grossed out will you be if you saw spotted akoyas like this? I keep looking and looking and frankly recoiling but at the same time I'm intrigued. Experts, anyone knows why and how these have come about? I'm worried these are akin to pearls from ill oysters or is it mussels?

Those look like dye-treated blues, not the natural color or cobalt treated. You can see concentrations of the dye in the spots.

Yes, siree. I disclosed them as that (possibly dyed) when I sold them. Now that explains why they were so cheap and of course, beading quality pearls, not like the ones Marnie got from PP.

As for the akoya pearls with the spots, I simply cannot fathom them. Any ideas anyone? Something in the water? Ill oysters? Or random beauty marks like freckles?

Last edited:
I'm confused. I thought Jeremy was saying the pearls in post #1 were natural color akoyas and the ones in #9 were dyed, thus the spots.

The ones in post #1 are natural colored baroque akoyas, to my understanding-- I have some like them that I bought loose and made a necklace, bracelet and earrings from. They weren't cheap, but they did cost less than the going rate now for baroques.

Jeremy has the silver-blue baroques too, not just the round ones.

They're here! My blue akoya earrings have arrived from PP--they're absolutely gorgeous! As promised, here are some pictures. My thumb is clearly not ready for its close-up, forgive me for that, but I think this photo is the most accurate representation of the beautiful color. Now I'm hooked...I'm going to have figure out a way to save up for the whole strand!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I can see the earrings pics now, lovely!

DK :)

Back