Are these good hanadama pearls?

Hi Fellow Pearl Guide members,

I am new to pearls, and just purchased a set of hanadama pearl necklace, bracelet, and earrings (7mm-7.5mm) from one of the US-based online vendors. I bought this necklace as a gift, but I wanted to seek your opinions before gifting this to the recipient.

The price I paid for the set was between $2000-$2700. How would you grade these pearls? Are these Hanadama pearls of good quality for the price range? I am keeping the vendor anonymous for now, so that we may keep this thread neutral. Thanks in advance for your input!

PdVReGv.jpg

PdVReGv.jpg

PdVReGv.jpg

PdVReGv.jpg

Hi Pearl-Newbie! And welcome to our Pearl-Loving forum :)

I have mixed feelings about the strand...the last photos have gorgeous, clean (are there some spots? Not sure) and round pearls...some with a bit of mottling (last photo on the left side) but some of the first photos I see several ovalish shaped ones. Might be a camera lens effect and not real...then I also see that some pearls have a beautiful rosé overtone and others not and I would have expected better matching.

I don't know...I would really like to SEE the actual necklace to make sure the photos are not lying, but I would have expected better matching from a Hanadama necklace. I could be wrong: I can't see the actual necklace and sometimes photos are not very truthful (nor our monitors or phone screens). Would love to see what other forum members may add!
:feedback:

Thank you, CortezPearls! You were right that the ovalish ones are deal to camera lens effect. At least the pearls are not noticeably off-round when I look at them in person. You raised a good point about uniformity. Some pearls have the aurora brilliance as indicated in the last photo, but not all of them. Should there be better matching/uniformity of the pearls across the entire strand?

In my opinion: Yes! For a Hanadama necklace definitively.
Did you get the certificate by Japan's Pearl Lab and all?

Yes, the set came with a PSL certificate, which mentioned the colors, nacre thickness, etc, but it didn't mention anything about uniformity.

Well, if they have their certificate...they are GOOD TO ME. I mean, photos are sometimes great...but there are so many things that can go wrong with them...distortion is one.
Then, photos are STATIC and pearls are DYNAMIC....a photo catches just a moment. If I were handling the pearls I would move them and I would see the orient changing and a photo cannot capture this. Perhaps the matching is perfect, and the photo does not do it any justice.

I would say: you are the one with the necklace, the one that can see it in the morning, midday and evening...all those moments when pearls seem to acquire a different life due to illumination, skin, clothing....pearls are better experienced when worn. A necklace is meant for it :)

So, try wearing it, having someone wear it...change the times to do this too. A True Hanadama Akoya Necklace is something special.

Back