Vietnamese Akoya Farms?

Caitlin Williams said:
That is a very interesting article. It didn't mention the freshwater pearls- black ones- that some one is growing in Vietnam. I look forward to Vietnam taking its place in the world pearl market.

Heey Slreap...What do you know about this?

The Man that claim to make black pearl from fresh water is Doan Thien.
Sorry, But I know this guy he is Eighty year old and been working on pearl for a long time but he just want some attention that all. He does not have the pearl he claim.
Don't believe this. It's not true.
I have study Vietnam ocean in the last three year.
They have all kind of pearl oyster. Blacklipped (Pintctada margaritifera),
White and golden maxima, pinctada fucata (Akoya), Pteria penguin( Black-winged pearl oyster) and more....

Chi

Chi Galatea Huynh

chi huynh said:
The Man that claim to make black pearl from fresh water is Doan Thien.
Sorry, But I know this guy he is Eighty year old and been working on pearl for a long time but he just want some attention that all. He does not have the pearl he claim.
Don't believe this. It's not true.
I have study Vietnam ocean in the last three year.
They have all kind of pearl oyster. Blacklipped (Pintctada margaritifera),
White and golden maxima, pinctada fucata (Akoya), Pteria penguin( Black-winged pearl oyster) and more....

Chi

Chi Galatea Huynh

Hello Chi,

Thanks for clearing that up about Mr.Doan Thien's black freshwater pearls. At first I beleived it could be possible and so did many others but I've always suspected that he used some sort of dye added to the water where he cultivated his pearls.

Your carved pearls are lovely and very unusual. It's too bad about the Tahitian pearls not working out for you.

Slraep

Hi Chi
I am so sorry the Vietnamese black pearls aren't real. I really think there are great possibilities for both salt and fresh water pearls being cultivated in Vietnam. Both kinds of pearls come in black varieties, if someone will just grow them!

I think your work is incredibly creative. You combine high artictic sensibility with top tier craftsmanship.....That is a rare combination, indeed! I look forward to your next fabulous idea and hope to see you visiting over here.

PS Maybe the Bay of Cortez pearl people cam grow pearls to your specifications. If anything the pteria sternas are even more beautifal than Tahitians- at least the lower grade Tahitians- and Mexico may not have the strict rules that Tahiti has. I believe they also grow the Pinctada margaritas , too. Aren't the Tahitian pearls grown in P margaritas?

Anyway, something to check out.

Are you located somewhere where you can come to Tucson for the big gem show in February?

Caitlin Williams said:
Hi Chi
I am so sorry the Vietnamese black pearls aren't real. I really think there are great possibilities for both salt and fresh water pearls being cultivated in Vietnam. Both kinds of pearls come in black varieties, if someone will just grow them!

I think your work is incredibly creative. You combine high artictic sensibility with top tier craftsmanship.....That is a rare combination, indeed! I look forward to your next fabulous idea and hope to see you visiting over here.

PS Maybe the Bay of Cortez pearl people cam grow pearls to your specifications. If anything the pteria sternas are even more beautifal than Tahitians- at least the lower grade Tahitians- and Mexico may not have the strict rules that Tahiti has. I believe they also grow the Pinctada margaritas , too. Aren't the Tahitian pearls grown in P margaritas?

Anyway, something to check out.

Are you located somewhere where you can come to Tucson for the big gem show in February?

Caitlin,
Yes I will be at the AGTA Show in the Designer Center.
And also show at the Continental Buying Group in Feb 28th.
Hope to see you there.

I am in San Dimas, Ca. USA
30 miles from LA

(909)-592-0877
www.galateausa.com

Chi

Very nice to see your posts. Your pearls are mysteriously beautiful. I second the idea of using Sea of Cortez pearls. I'll definitely stop by the designer room to see your pearls.;)

Cheers,
Blaire

Caitlin Williams said:
I think you can expect a few of us Pearl Guide forum members to drop by!!! We will make you part of a pearl walk!

What a great idea. That's why you're in charge!!!;)

Absolutely! I can't think of a nicer stop to make than to visit Galatea and look over your wonderful creations... Welcome to the Forum, by the way!!

Ashley said:
Absolutely! I can't think of a nicer stop to make than to visit Galatea and look over your wonderful creations... Welcome to the Forum, by the way!!

I will be happy to see everyone at the show.

I want to donate a Mercy pearl to a person that referring the most number of their friends to Pearl-Guide.com by the 20th of December 2007.
Any idea how to track this?
Help me to make this official if we all think this can create more awareness to Pearl-guide.com.
I will send a photo of Mercy Pearl to post only if you give me permission.

Chi Galatea Huynh

Hi chi
That is a sweet idea, but really I think any donated pearl should go to Jeremy's charity program. He has a program where he donates pearls to charities that are having auctions and/or benefits for the charity who will get the proceeds. Then if anyone here wants it, they can buy it through the charity.

--Unless it is me you send it to!!!
(I am just kidding on the last part. Honest I am. Really. truly......for sure.......now if I can just get control of my hand......)

Caitlin Williams said:
Hi chi
That is a sweet idea, but really I think any donated pearl should go to Jeremy's charity program. He has a program where he donates pearls to charities that are having auctions and/or benefits for the charity who will get the proceeds. Then if anyone here wants it, they can buy it through the charity.

--Unless it is me you send it to!!!
(I am just kidding on the last part. Honest I am. Really. truly......for sure.......now if I can just get control of my hand......)

Caitlin, Caitlin, ai, ai.:D

I have an idea... Everyone who goes on the pearl walk and stops by your booth can get their name in a Galatea drawing -- I wish!!!;)

GemGeek said:
I have an idea... Everyone who goes on the pearl walk and stops by your booth can get their name in a Galatea drawing -- I wish!

You mean, no one is engraving pearls already!? :eek:

Back to the main topic of this thread, Vietnamese Akoya. Here's a photo of a bracelet made with natural color Vietnamese Akoya pearls.

S-VABM-BBPL-10-lg.jpg

Ooh...how pretty! How big are they?

Those are 7-8mm. The Vietnamese Akoya we've been seeing have extremely thick nacre. Some of them up to 2mm, though 1mm is more common. And I'm not talking total nacre thickness either.

That's a really lovely bracelet. I'm looking forward to seeing more!
John

I am really proud of this because I am from Vietnam, hehe.:) But could somebody suggest some ways to market or build the brand for Vietnamese akoya pearls.:)

Back