Your advice on pearl stud earrings

__ryan__

Hello there, I'm looking to select a pair of pearl stud earrings for my wife and would be grateful for some advice on size/grade.

My wife will be turning 40 in a few weeks and does not yet have any pearl jewelry. I'd like to get her something of high quality that can be worn everyday, and would like to spend somewhere in the range of about $600-$800. So far, I've been focusing on Akoya pearls.

I've perused the offerings at Pearl Paradise and found:
Akoya Hanadama 8.5-9.0mm
Akoya AAA 9.0-9.5mm

I also noticed Mikimoto 8mm (A+) for ~$1000 and understand that grading systems are specific to vendors.

So firstly, am I considering the right size? I did some snooping in her jewelry box and found faux pearl studs measuring about 9.5mm and 13mm, so I feel like she can pull off larger pieces. But for everyday wear is 9mm about right? I'm somewhat concerned that the Mikimoto option is smaller than I would like.

Is it worth also considering South Sea pearls, perhaps in a larger size? I know this is all subjective, but I'm curious to hear some opinions.

So, what would you recommend: the Akoya Hanadama (8.5-9.0), the Akoya AAA (9.0-9.5), or something else? Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Ryan and Welcome to our Pearl Loving Forum!

You've got your numbers right...a 9 mm to 9.5 mm size is a very good size, very useable.
One thing I have noticed with Hanadama is that they just SHINE a lot more and they look larger than their size when worn, so this shine "expands" them...I would go for Hanadama always, unless price is a concern.

I would go for South Seas if I wanted something a bit larger, let's say 12-13 mm, but then the price takes quite a hike.

I agree with the advice to go for akoyas for everyday wear. AAA or hanadama will both have high luster; get the one that fits your budget best.

9mm is a great size! One comment on size though...does she use the phone a great deal at work? If so, consider going smaller or buying dangles. Large studs are cumbersome when using a phone.

I agree with the advice to go for akoyas for everyday wear. AAA or hanadama will both have high luster; get the one that fits your budget best.

9mm is a great size! One comment on size though...does she use the phone a great deal at work? If so, consider going smaller or buying dangles. Large studs are cumbersome when using a phone.

That is one great advice!

Thanks for your comment! I'll try to post a few photos when everything is settled.

Back