Finally it got here!

StarryPearl

Hey guys!

My blue Akoya finally arrived, YAY!! I am so excited to share with you.

IMG_2240.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, BWeaves and Charlotta. All the pearls have both blue and pink overtones, which is amazing. In person they look more blue than pink, but the photo shows them about equally, which is interesting. I just took another photo of it with my old freshwater necklace (needs restrung!) so that we can see how blue it is. I LOVE it!

Btw, can anyone please educate me on these terms: "undertone", "overtone", "iridescence", and "orient"? I have a very vague idea what they are but I guess what I thought I knew are "overtone" and "iridescence". The blue and pink of these pearls are "overtones", correct? And "iridescence" is like the common multi color on many lustrous freshwater fireball pearls? So what indeed are "undertone" and "orient"? If you could give one representative picture of each of these terms, that would be so much easier for me to understand, as English is not my mother tongue. Thanks a lot!
IMG_0448_副本.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations StarryPearl :D
Looks lovely! And I like the soft-baroque shapes.

What is your native tongue? Have you heard of the Pearls as One course? The CPAA has it in several languages including French, Japanese, German, Spanish, Italian...and you can learn a lot from it :)

You can also look up within our own forum for answers to your questions...you may start with this.

Thanks, CortezPearls. I eventually got the "real thing" - so glad to see natural color comes this blue and beautiful. I like that you call it "soft-baroque" shape. I was debating between this strand and another strand that was more baroque (had tails) and of bigger size, and I don't regret my choice. However, now I am debating whether to take the other strand as well, as I am addicted to blue Akoya's beauty. If only I don't need to save money for a strand of big WSS... Thanks for recommending the course. I did not know it but it sounds wonderful! I will definitely take a look. And thanks for the link. I actually did search the forum and read that article before, just still not quite get the "orient". Probably I haven't seen enough pearls or paid close attention to the pearls to recall what the description means.

Thank you, Katbran and Lilpearl. This is the first time I see blue Akoya in person - and it's mine! Feel like in heaven. :D

Thanks for looking, everyone!

Happy to hear about your newfound Love for Blue Akoya pearls :D
Congratulations...and happy to see that our experts' advice has been of help to you :)

The terms are sort of vague in my head. I think of undertones as the base color of the pearl, and overtones as the shifting colors I see on the surface. I think of orient as the mother of pearl effect, which is similar to iridescence. Then there's luster, which I think of as how shiny or dull the pearls are. I'm sure I've gotten some of it wrong.

I don't think orient is used much any more. I think the word originally came from oriental pearls.

You really scored here, what a pleasure to see them!

Thanks for your input, BWeaves, that's very helpful. :)

Thanks for looking and replying, everyone.

A 14k white gold clasp and some thread are on the way. I ordered "frosted" round clasp before receiving the pearls as I thought the blue hue would make the pearls look like frosted and I wanted the clasp harmonious. The pearls turn out so shining and reflective that maybe smooth round clasp fits better. I will see.

I noticed there was a "Show Us Your Pearls" board down there. Perhaps I should post there instead of here?

I am so glad that I joined this forum. People here are so friendly, supportive, knowledgeable, and helpful. Glad to be one of you. :)

StarryPearl, Congratulations!!! You got a fabulous strand of dream pearls; how wonderful. I too love those soft baroque shapes, and the colors are divine!!! So happy you got what you hoped for. We're glad you're one of us too ;). I highly recommend Douglas' suggestion of the Pearls as One course; I think you'd love it; so much to learn, so many surprises. Enjoy your new pearls!

we're family here StarryPearl, and would love to have you aboard :)
And yes, a great place to share your love for the pearls you wear is the "Show us your Pearls" thread.
And just like dear CathyKeshi said: do take advantage of the Free "Pearls as One" course...if you love pearls it will only DEEPEN your love and knowledge of our unique watery gem.
Have a blessed weekend family!

The terms are sort of vague in my head. I think of undertones as the base color of the pearl, and overtones as the shifting colors I see on the surface. I think of orient as the mother of pearl effect, which is similar to iridescence. Then there's luster, which I think of as how shiny or dull the pearls are. I'm sure I've gotten some of it wrong.

I don't think orient is used much any more. I think the word originally came from oriental pearls.

This is how I understand the terms, too.
I feel that the base color/undertone of the pearl never changes, but the other factors can change with the quality of the light. For example, Tahitian pearls seem to look best on rainy days, the diffused light is flattering to them.

Thanks CathyKeshi, CortezPearls, and ennui.

I conquered my procrastination and enrolled in Pearl as One course as it's so strongly recommended! :cool:

As to the terms, does base color equal to undertone? - Or maybe I will find answer in the course.:p

No hard and fast rules, we just love pictures of pearls, happy to see them anywhere!

Post in Show us your pearls too. Since you started with a question thread, I’m glad you followed up with a They got here! thread because that’s a really timely and exciting follow-up, and easy to find. I’d say when you knot them, follow up on this thread too, so we get to see the clasp and all. We’re always kind of greedy for a neck shot (which would be nice on this thread) but now that I’ve got wattles, I understand the reluctance.

But, here are 2 hints if you need them. If you’re young, save them for later because we hope you’ll still be here.

1) if you want a face-front neckshot, we sort of get our faces framed, try to hold still and then tip the head back, snap the photo and edit.
2) you can frame your face and neck, then turn your head sideways (like you’re looking over your shoulder), take the photo then edit.

3) borrow a young person. This is maybe the hardest one, because they aren’t always handy.

Then once you start wearing them, you post them on Show us your pearls in action, different days, different outfits if you feel like it.

Last edited:
Beautiful pearls, look forward to the neck shots...

Back