Trying to calculate age of Mikimoto silver pearl bead necklace 35 inches

QBQ2

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can help me to calculate the age of this Mikimoto pearl necklace with silver clamshell please?.

Attachments

• 20200903_185105.jpg
    20200903_185105.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200903_185207.jpg
    20200903_185207.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200903_185047.jpg
    20200903_185047.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 44
QBQ2.

Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your interesting necklace. What more do you know of its history? It appears a double strand might have been restrung into one long strand. The pearls appear to be baroque Akoya. If you are in the US, you might check with Mikimoto in New York. I don't recall seeing that style clasp before, but we have seen a number of silver Miki clasps. Hopefully some of our Miki collectors here will add their opinion.

It looks like someone reused and old Mikimoto clasp from a 2 strand necklace. Those don't look like Mikimoto pearls to me. And the way they are attached to the clasp do not look like how Mikimoto would have strung them.

I agree with Pattye. Contact Mikimoto and see what they can tell you.

Hi and welcome! Beautiful clasp; my Mom and I never liked gimp, so I can’t say I’ve seen every kind of gimp, but I’ve never seen gimp like this before. It’s kind of blue? Is it a new product?

Thank you! Does that mean it was silver-plated copper gimp?

Thank you so much for your patient info sharing! Time for me to hit Giggle and read some articles, rather than bother you guys. This is fascinating. So this could be sterling silver with a higher copper content?

It’s a very attractive look, for gimp, but doesn’t go with everything, does it. I could see it beautifully with the Vietnamese blue baroque akoya. Happy Sigh, thinking of the akoya, not gimp.

Last edited:
I agree that they don't look like Mikimoto pearls. Can you post a closeup on a white paper towel or a white piece of paper? Coiling the strand will let us see more pearls up close in one shot. Thank you! :)

Wow, look at all those colors! And I guess because it’s enameled, you wouldn’t have a metal smell. Thanks PD!

Back