Help! New pair of blue akoya pearls

mrsadm

Hi everyone,
I just purchased from an online seller, a pair of blue akoya pearls. I want to make them into stud earrings. But I don’t know how to do this! 🙄

The seller wants to know what size hole to drill? Is there a typical size used most in the U.S.?

Then I need to find someone to add studs to the pearls. Is there someone or a business will do this? Will a business like pearl paradise be willing to do this, or not because they did not sell the pearls? Should I try my local jewelry store?

I would really appreciate advice from all your experience and collected wisdom!
Linda

I bought loose GSS pearls for earrings a few years ago. I took them to a local jeweler I know does good work, and he drilled and set them for me. Unless you plan to set them yourself, I suggest you let the person whom you choose to set them do the drilling.

Linda,
Is the seller giving you a choice of sizes? I think in this case it would be safe to have the seller drill them. If you have them drilled to .80 mm half drilled, that size hole will work for most findings, or can easily be made a little larger if needed for setting. You want a snug fit between the post and pearl. Not all jewelers drill pearls. But certainly check with your local stores.

Some lovely earrings in your future!

Last edited:
Linda. 0.8mm is the standard (mostly) for drillholes, probably you want it halfdrilled . I have never had a problem with this. Then you by the studfindings yourself, make sure to check that the pin is also 0.8 mm. If you buy it in sterling silver it will not cost much. Then you glue it on yourself. I use 2 part epoxy (the kind that don't yellow when it dries), some use superglue. I haven't used superglue, but I had to reglue studs previously glued with superglue...
You mix the to parts together on something, like a piece of plastic, I mix it with a wooden toothpick. Then I take the glue with a pinneedle and put some in the drillhole. Then I dip the studpin in some glue as well and and attach it to the pearl. Don't use to much glue. It will harden within 24 hours. If this failes in some way you can always put it in aceton, remove the finding and start over again. It's fun and don't involve jewelers wich is a good thing since they mostly don't know much about pearls (I am sure there are good jewelers out there somewhere, but they do seem hard to find).

the best way is to buy the ear pins before u drill the pearls. It might become an never ending story when the drill holes are too big.
Buy the ear pins first and measure the diameter. Much better and safer

A friend of mine brought me a loose Tahitian pearl and I sent it to Pearl Paradise to be drilled and set. You could contact them for a price quote.

Many jewelers have someone they send pearls to for drilling, stringing etc. even if they don't do it themselves. The jeweler I took mine to was a goldsmith and did his own work.

Last edited:
Patty’s, can you please clarify?

Patty’s, can you please clarify?

Linda,
Is the seller giving you a choice of sizes? I think in this case it would be safe to have the seller drill them. If you have them drilled to .08 mm half drilled, that size hole will work for most findings, or can easily be made a little larger if needed for setting. You want a snug fit between the post and pearl. Not all jewelers drill pearls. But certainly check with your local stores.

Some lovely earrings in your future!

Did you mean .08 mm or .8 mm?

thankyou

Hey mrsadm, I'm curious to see how your project goes. I've seen some undrilled pairs of akoya through a few online vendors, and I've thought about making studs or top drill holes for dangle earrings. I've seen most sellers offer 0.8 or 0.9mm holes. If you don't mind, post to let us know how your experience was! You might inspire others, too;)

I just received a pair of blue akoyas for earrings! I got the vendor to half-drill 0.8mm holes. I haven’t yet chosen findings, but 0.8 seems fairly standard, and as the pearls I bought were lower grade and reasonably inexpensive, I figured I’d take a chance on getting suitable findings rather than investing in taking them to a jeweller.

I have so much to learn about pearls, and so many more mistakes to make on that path. The pair of blue akoyas arrived today. I’m not thrilled with them... one has two flaws, small ones, but considering what I paid I expected both to have really clean surfaces. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them here, I hope you can give me some observations; perhaps I am too picky or I way overpaid.

SydK, I would love to see photo’s of your pearls.

Back