Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basra pearls

Cool Basra pearls

Hiiii guys,
    Just found out this beautiful place where people just love pearls, I am having this two line basra pearl necklace, Have a look at this!!
    Comments are more than welcome....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can we see some closeups? That photo has hardly any luster showing. What sizes are the pearls? Is this a family piece?
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Hey hiii,
    Yeahh have uploaded a higher resolution image. do check it out.
    yeahh its a family piece!!

I guess this forum dosnt allow me to upload higher resolution images, will click some close ups and post the pics!!

Blog Entries

Thank you.
    Can you photograph on a non-reflecting white surface, such as a paper towel? If you have a macro (the flower) setting, use that, then crop.

You might also try to take some pics with outdoor indirect light- as well as in the sun.

Try to get some of the luster. That is a pretty photo, for color and composition, but not very useful for really seeing the pearls.

Thanks!
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

So much for Taking pictures of pearl jewellery, eh?
    I cant remember the exact name of the thread, or I'd jump in more often...
    Last edited by lisa c; 09-30-2012 at 06:09 PM.

Yeahhh will do that and upload the snaps asap...
    Between the size of the pearls are in the range from 1.4 mm to 9.2 mm...

nice double strands. Look forward to close-up pics, om a white paper towel. The threading appears to be from India/Pakistan.

Cheers

Blog Entries

I am getting to the point where I distrust the term, 'Basra' pearls. it really means that Indians call pearls Basra pearls. They are supposed to be pearls from Basra- which is in the persian gulf and was once a pearl trading center for India.

But Basra pearls actually from Basra are not big and they are not round. Round ones are worth fortunes, so I say get anything from India certified elsewhere.

Having said that, this particular grouping may be natural, but the large round ones are too large for Persian Gulf pearls and so the meaning of 'Basra pearls' is peculiar to India and has no standing elsewhere- except eBay.

I personally reject the term and question its use at all.
    Caitlin

Sorry for the delay in photographs as i am out of station..
    Well for Your information i am sharing a link, have a read and met me know weather basra pearls are round or not, and yeah one more thing they are indeed found in Basra which is a place near Iran.

http://www.imperialpearl.com/news2/p...pectives48.htm

And yeah i the original Baroda pearl necklace looks like the picture i attached below, they belong to royal family of baroda and thats a estate in India, they do cost a fortune and are veryyy rare.

No offence but Please do some research before posting.

Blog Entries

No Offense
    We have much better photos of the Baroda necklace than that from when it got resold about 5 years ago. Those two strands were high graded from a 7 strander that I think was also cherry picked from the enormous Baroda collection.

What I am saying is "Basra pearls" has become a collective term that refers to nothing and everything. It is a muddled term. Those maharajas got their great pearls from everywhere, not just Basra.

Maybe the Baroda pearls can be called Basra pearls, but that does not mean they are pinctada radiatas. What research have you done? Please provide us with any kind of opinion that the Baroda pearls are from pinctada radiatas. Their satiny sheen is far more like pearls from Pinctada maximas.

You have only to read Tavernier to realize natural pearls came from everywhere they had pearl oysters and got traded to India most of the time.

Basra was a pearl trading center equal to none- at the time. That does not mean that all the pearls that got traded out of Basra were born in the Persian Gulf. If I am wrong, please correct me with some of your research.

Besides it is just my forming opinion that I am tired of the term Basra pearls. I just now got tired of it. Maybe it was this thread. Or the other one similar with the 15mm "Basras". I have come to think it is a meaningless term. Unless you can convince me, with some research, of course, that it does have meaning.
    Caitlin

Blog Entries

The seven strander:Name:  baroda-pearls-necklace.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  63.3 KBhttp://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1431&highlight=Baroda+pearls
    Caitlin

@Caitlin
    Well to support my argument that those Baroda pearls are indeed basra pearls i can let you have a chat with the "Gaikwad's" who are the rulers of the princly estate of Baroda and now when you say "how does they know what is basra and how does they differentiate from Pinctada maximas" than my dear friend its there opinion and when you are talking about a period of more than 150-200 odd years, the opinion does matter and so is the high price which these beauties demands.

I am not a pearl scientist nor have that much knowledge about pearls weather they are natural or cultural, south sea or basra but yeah with the amount of pearls i have saw in personal through these maharajas collections (nd the collection is just fantastic and nothing comes even close to what i saw in whole of your forums) i will still term them all as BASRA just because the lustre, shapes etc are very much identical to each other and for the fact is veryyy simillar to what the Baroda's pearls are.

Blog Entries

Call them what you like.

I am not trying to convince you of anything. I am expressing my opinion.

You just proved my point.

It appears to me that as reliably as cultured pearls that go through Japan go through maeshori as well, so do all sea pearls that go to India end up being called "Basra pearls" and their place of origin before that, is henceforth forgotten.

I think the Baroda pearls look like ducks and quack like ducks, so I can't be far wrong by calling them ducks.

I dare say most of the New World pearls probably ended up in India, because historically, India has collected natural pearls from every source they can for hundreds of years if not thousands. India collectively really makes out whenever the fleeing royals de jour have to sell their pearls. Once pearls get to India, it is hard for them to leave again and most do not. The Barodas left under extraordinary circumstances and I would not be surprised if someone with big bucks in India didn't buy them back- A mere 7+ million dollars would be a bargain to get them back.

If you think pearls all look alike after seeing so many of them, there is no hope for you having a career as a pearl sorter- I am joking with you because there is no such career except in China with freshwater pearls....

By the way- do you know of any families with elephant pearls?
    Caitlin

I never said that all pearls look alike, i just said that most of the pearls i saw in those princely estates are more or like same in there lustres,shapes etc. and thats the reason why we here in India call them as "Basra" pearls.
    Now if you question the authenticity of Christie/sothby's etc buying them and selling them telling as Natural Basra pearls than its your opinion.
    Yeah saw a couple of them which in local terms are known as "gajamukta"..But dying to see a gajamani (a 108 piece necklance of gajamukta) !! Hope you will provide a pic of the same