Wow what a fun forum! I was researching a pearl necklace of my mom's and found you guys. Here's some info:
1. Definitely gritty against teeth and each other.
2. 24" long, pearls are 7mm each.
3. Clasp is stamped 14K G
4. Quite round
5. I can't see any obvious differences from pearl to pearl.
6. I would consider them smooth, but if you look really close, there is a texture to them.
7. They were purchased at "Ultimate Jewelry Designs" on 5th Ave. in NYC about 25 years ago. Seems they're still around but have moved to a different location in NYC.
They're still my mom's, but I got nervous that she was leaving all her jewelry unsecured in her assisted living apartment so I took them for "safe keeping."
Thanks for any info you can provide!