I inherited a set of pearls from my grandmother and was hoping someone here could help me figure out what I have as I do not know anything about pearls.
According to a note in the jewelry box (I believe I have the original box) written by my great-grandmother, these pearls were given to my grandmother by my grandfather in 1943. The box is red velvet on the outside with a satin lining. "Bluebird Pearls for Happiness" is written in gold on the lining. I tried a Google search for this term but didn't come up with much.
My father had them restrung by a jeweler sometime in the late 1990s so I am not certain if the clasp is original or not.
1. They feel gritty when rubbed against my teeth
2. The necklace is 21.5 cm in length. The largest pearl is a little under 1 cm. The smallest is about .25 cm.
3. There doesn't appear to be any stamp or marking on the clasp.
4. The pearls are round.
5. The pearls are of different sizes. They start out small and gradually get larger.
6. The pearls are different sizes but they seem to be the same color and have the same surface - smooth and off-white.
I have attached some pictures. I do not have the best camera so please let me know if I need to upload some better ones. Thanks so much for any assistance you can provide!