Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've "flagged" the post on craig's list and reported it as a scam.

Here is his his response to me -

You are wrong again!

And yes most of my pearls are Akoya and they come from multiple locations throughout the world but mostly Asian Countries and they are almost all salt water. And yes a few of my pearl strands do come from the South Pacific and I have some fantastic Golden pearls that are also from the South Pacific.

Now we could discuss this all day and we would not get anywhere because I know who buy from and where they are located, and I've been doing business with them for over ten years and as far as I know they have not lied to me yet. My business is built on trust and I trust the suppliers who sale to me.
    His akoya pearls are "almost" all saltwater??? So maybe he carries some freshwater akoya, lol.

A big warning to anyone who finds Diamonds For A Buck (Diamondsforabuck.com) on Google or any of the other engines. This guy is a fraud. I would expect his diamonds to be fake too.

Me to him
    Excuse me, but those are not akoyas, they are dyed cultured freshwater pearls! I am reporting you to Craig's list AS A SCAM
    http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/jwl/2875820492.html

First you better read Wikipedia to find information about Akoya pearls! And since you have not done any research you better do so before you libel yourself.

Wiki link is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl

So get a life and learn about pearls before you make any claims on what my merchandise is!!!!!

To: vcvwr-2875820492@sale.craigslist.org
    Sent: Monday, March 19, 2012 5:16 PM
    Subject: FANTASTIC SOUTH SEAS AKOYA CULTURED PEARL NECKLACE 17IN - $79 (Hemet)

** CRAIGSLIST ADVISORY --- AVOID SCAMS BY DEALING LOCALLY
    ** Avoid:
    wiring money, cross-border deals, work-at-home
    ** Beware:
    cashier checks, money orders, escrow, shipping
    ** More Info: http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Me to him: Why don't you Google me and find out what I know about pearls? I wrote part of the article in Wikipedia.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 03-20-2012 at 01:39 AM.

Russiangems
    to me
    Believe me I know that! But as I mentioned my family has been in the jewelry business since 1940's and I've been in it since 1968 which when I look back it seems as if it was yesterday.

About my pearl suppliers I do trust them and have been doing business with them for over ten years and they are located in Australia. I've been in business for ever and I'm very careful about what and who I buy from when it comes to jewelry.
    *Now pearl sales are less than one percent of all sales, and all of my buyers have been very happy with their pearl purchases from me because of price and quality.
    So in short yes I have to relay upon what my seller tells me when it comes to the location that my pearls come from, but that is based upon a business relationship that has gone on for ten plus years and during that time a level of trust has been built.

Now when I buy diamonds I buy from a source that assures me that they are not blood diamonds, but as with diamonds they can be analyzed to determine where they came from, but I cannot test every diamond to determine its origin because the cost would prohibit that. And pearls since there is no way to determine where they were grown I have to believe the person with whom I buy from.

Back to work, but I enjoyed chatting with you.
    President of Imperial-Deltah
    Presently serve on the boards of the AGTA, CPAA and the Plumb Club
    30 Years in the Pearl Industry
    www.pearls.com

Peter Bazar
    to Russiangems
    You can tell where pearls come from. Each type of pearl has very unique characteristics. For example Tahtain pearls come from *Pictada Margeritatiera and has a unique color palate ranging from black to grey to green and cherry. With experience one would instantly recognize those pearls as coming from Pictada Margeritatiera. Freshwater pearls are white peach purple an experienced pearl expert will know a freshwater pearl when they see one and the pearls you are selling are ringed freshwater pearls. They are too large to be Akoya for the Akoya shell is small. They are not from Pictada Margeritatiera they are white. I could go on. Are you doing business with My Southsea pearls? They are from Australia and they not honest.
    You may know about Diamonds I am not a diamond expert but I know pearls and what I am hearing and see on your website is all wrong. It needs to be corrected. Just to begin I hope you understand there are no Tahtain or freshwater Akoya pearls. Please don't believe the person you are buying from they are wrong
    President of Imperial-Deltah
    Presently serve on the boards of the AGTA, CPAA and the Plumb Club
    30 Years in the Pearl Industry
    www.pearls.com

Thanks for stepping in Peter

Just looked at their site - not a pretty sight (excuse the pun)

beggars belief really
    Alex

Many of this guy's "natural" gemstone beads are also obviously misrepresented on his website. Too bad there is not a way to alert innocent buyers.

Good news! Flagging has meant one of our mate's listings has been removed.

Beggars belief is right. I'm reeling from the stupidity.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

From a consumer's point of view, thank you pearling Big Boys, independent small-medium retailers and the smorgasbord of altruistic do-gooders for doing a fine job policing the web for unethical pearling practices.

Why would anyone waste an ounce of their time writing emails in such a pursuit? Passion for what you do and what you believe in. Hats off to all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianne View Post
    Too bad there is not a way to alert innocent buyers.
    Oh, but there is!

The site has been reported to The Jewelers Vigilance Committee. They might not be able to do too much about it, but Google acts quickly.