Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Nerida...is there a local council trading standards who could sort this person out? He claims at least to be in Australia

How do you report such fakery to ebay? I had a poke around but could not find
    On the listing is a place that says "report this listing."
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Natural Pearl Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lagoon Island Pearls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cairnspearls98
    my items are natural barquoe tahitian pearls which i buy from a wholesaler as i have been for the past 10 years.
    There has not been a wholesale dealer in natural Tahitian baroques for a century, no less the past ten years. Even if there was, wouldn't you think one of us would know who that is? If such a person exists, wouldn't they proudly specify who that is?
    Dave
    http://www.lagoonislandpearls.ca/

Blog Entries

OK If those are Tahitians, shut my mouth. This one is really pretty. I like it. I looks great. It cost $20.00 AUS. Josh had a very similar shaped Kamoka that sold for several hundred dollars. Was the difference in price due solely to the gold used? ( Josh used real gold, this guy uses plated) How can this guy sell such a pretty Tahitian for $20.00? Think I should buy it?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Caitlin; 02-17-2012 at 12:01 AM.
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A dyed, low-grade freshwater on a plated setting for $20? That seems a bit steep

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Every one of these listed as Tahitian pearls are dyed freshwater pearls.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/CAIRNS-PEAR..._sid=153022177

Sad ... very sad. But seriously, this is par for the course with eBay. Just for fun, see if you can find one actual Tahitian pearl here -

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trkp...&_sop=15&_sc=1

You could spend a long time going through the listings, or just switch the search to Highest Price First. That's the only way to find the real deal.

Blog Entries

Also, so a search for Tahitians -black, that removes all the freshwaters. Top down is the right way to search, I think.

One dead giveaway for dishonest people selling freshwaters as other kind of pearls, is they usually charge steep freshwater prices. I suppose if they really charged Tahitian prices, if would be different. As it is they still only pay a steep charge for what it is worth, with a lie, not 10-20x what it is worth, with a lie.

BTW
    Cairn 58 stopped me from buying from him or subscribing to his newsletter, but he can't prevent me from putting his stuff on my WATCH list!
    Caitlin

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

*Applause* for Caitlin!

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

I wrote as well and asked why he was selling freshwaters as tahitians but he hasn't answered.
    I tried report this listing but it only lets you report for fraud (of the nothing sent variety) and stuff like that. (or copyright) or I got it all wrong

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Amanda's Avatar

At this price ($30k!) these should be real:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W-15-17mm-Ta...item2eb8f33d9f

But I'm not that keen on them, from that photo, they look a bit dull.

These are also real, I reckon? I don't know the seller but they look real (and nice, but I like circled pearls a lot)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-1mm-10-8mm...item519867b30f

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

The round strand seems expensive, and it seems incredibly tight to then charge $8 for the certificate from some unknown lab on top of that.
    Pearl society is a reputable seller with honest pricing - sometimes bargains to be had in fact.

Baroque Pearl Senior Guide Member imanit's Avatar

I can vouch for Pearl Society too. I bought from them few times. Excellent communication, great service, they are always happy to send more pictures... I never regretted a purchase I made from them.... and as Wendy said: sometimes you WILL get a bargain....
    Ivona

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Those really large Tahitians are probably from the third seeding, and I've learned from previous discussions here, they don't have the great lustre the first harvest pearls do. Like the ringed pearls, too!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Blog Entries

Now we need someone from AUS to buy one of his singleton tahitians for $20. plus postage. That will be fraud.

Hey Cairnspearls58.

Be afraid.

Be afraid of whom you may sell to in the US, England or AUS. Anyone, upon receiving those fake baroque black Tahitians, will have real grounds for fraud.

Unless you put on each page, somewhere, that they are cultured freshwaters even if you don't say "grown in China"!

Remember, I can still "watch" any item of yours I wish to watch. I hope you begin dealing in an honest and responsible way.-well, forget that, but I hope you do include the truth in the small print, even as you do for the gold plating.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 02-17-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: To add suggestion for correction.
    Caitlin

Blog Entries

BTW I think the above pictured are fantastically beautiful, and a decent price. Jose from Tahitian pearls was selling one similar for about the same or less before Christmas! That is a super-rare necklace, but may get more popular, if it sells. I am so glad you pictured it here. It is really lovely.
    Last edited by Caitlin; 02-17-2012 at 05:37 PM.
    Caitlin