Valeria101

Default Best Size for Freshwaters

Admitting that fine pearls are getting harder to find the LARGER you want them, what size range allows for great quality easily?

Let me rephrase: for example, I would not be too surprised to find 4-5mm pearls with nice water etc. A 12mm pearl looking as a magnified version of the little gorgeous ones would make quite a surprise! So, what's a good size to look for when size and quality need to be balanced?

perlas

In my area, 7-8mm. Great luster and water, nice roundness, blemish-free.

Once the pearls step to 8-9mm, still possible but quite difficult. If the strands are blemish-free with great luster, roundness is compensated (off round). A perfectly round, blemish-free, nice luster and water would have to be assembled... cherry-picked pearl by pearl.
    Last edited by perlas; 03-05-2007 at 02:00 AM.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

I agree, I'd say 8mm and smaller - just because they are soo common, the chance of a really nice one increases.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Sea Urchin's Avatar

I have a strand that is 8- 9 mm (which by my measurement, really means 8 mm). First I had ordered the 7- 8 mm size (by my measurement, meaning 7 mm), but they just didn't seem to me to have much presence on me or somethuing. So I upgraded. I did not notice any lowering in quality, but there was a pretty large price increase.
    Last edited by Sea Urchin; 02-11-2012 at 05:42 PM.