Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pearl Designer & Collector Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Default Gorgeous Tahitian Pearls

Hi all,

Just had to share these with you all. These are so unusual and stunning. I love them but I have done my dash recently with Tahitians and all spending. I just can't buy more at the moment. But oh I love them and wish I could.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310358994489 have a look - green is my favourite colour too. I can just imagine a necklace and a pair of earrings made from this strand.

Some photos attached for all to drool over.

Dawn - Bodecia
    http://stores.ebay.com/Dawns-Designer-Collections
    Natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Dawn - I love those pearls. I gravitate toward green in tahitians also. And I agree with you, I am familiar with that ebay seller, Rainbowislandpearls. Very honest.

Art historian and devout NCN Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nora's Avatar

I also bought from Inger (RainbowIslandPearls) a number of times and she was always honest, helpful and nice.
    Nora

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have no doubt they are Tahitians. That color I have never seen in freshwaters and have seen in Tahitians. I love that color. If they were freshwaters, which I doubt, I would try to find a bunch of them. Green is not usual in freshwaters, unless dyed. I can't think of any body color as green in freshies, only green overtones.

I think the question is legitimate, but it is the color I have never seen in freshies, but have seen in Tahitians.I have long noted on this forum that freshies can pretend to be anything else, but these are the first tahitians pretending to be freshies= except for that color!!!!

so let's have a challenge. Anyone ever see freshies in these shades of green? Those are not dyed. Anyone have a photo of pearls like these? What do you think about the pearls, not the sharp edges?
    Last edited by Caitlin; 12-06-2011 at 06:45 PM.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member lilliefuzzysocks's Avatar

I have no skin in this game but have a question. Pistacio is rare isn't it? What is the likelyhood one would find this many identical colored pistacio pearls, all the same general size and shape? It seems to me one would have a range of colors of pistacio, not clones if these were naturally this color.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member la_corsetiere's Avatar

Oooh, sigh, let's all just take a step back into our happy place, shall we? I, too, have purchased before from this seller, and have been very happy with the transactions. Sometimes there is a steep mark-up, just like with Druzy, influenced no doubt by the astronomical price of precious metals these days. However, if you find what you want at the right price, I think you can be comfortable that the item has been honestly and accurately represented.

I have heard these pearls described as "pistachios" or "pastels", and own a strand myself purchased from a local California vendor. The color is rather uncommon, and apparently not considered as valuable as some of the darker tones by some vendors. Of course, it is all a matter of personal opinion, and how the color compliments your skin tone. The pinks in the flesh tones do tend to enhance the greenish cast by contrast; in other lights, the pearls can appear more taupe.

I have seen some small freshwater pearls dyed a light green, but less subtle than the tones depicted in the photo. Again, I think the greenish cast is somewhat emphasized in comparison to the ruddy flesh tones of the hand.

Sheri

Note to lilfuzzysocks - my strand is also very uniform in color, and it is not dyed.

Sheri

Blog Entries

I think the color is the reason for the price. It IS a great matching job. If the same pearls were silver, they would cost at the bottom. If I were selling that strand, the only one like that I have seen, I would overprice it a bit.
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

la_corsetiere

Oooh, sigh, let's all just take a step back into our happy place, shall we? I, too, have purchased before from this seller, and have been very happy with the transactions. Sometimes there is a steep mark-up, just like with Druzy, influenced no doubt by the astronomical price of precious metals these days. However, if you find what you want at the right price, I think you can be comfortable that the item has been honestly and accurately represented.
    Good to know you were happy with transactions with rainbowisland pearls but steep mark up I truly doubt and as she works 3 jobs including eBay she rarely has a chance to make jewellery up. I think you do have her mixed up with druzydesigns ... Inger very rarely makes jewelery herself, no time. You make up your own jewellery so I should think it would be rare for you to buy gold from another seller, maybe druzy, not me, but yes if we use gold as I do the mark up has to be there. I sure you would allow for the gold used in your creations.

But you are right that any buyer can be comfortable in knowing that descriptions are honest and accurate from Inger.

Colour as in "pistachios" are naturally a matter of what colours we like or do not like. Obviously you do not like the green tones. I happen to love them as many do. The pistachios in a Tahitian necklace are often used as a selling point in a necklace with one or two because they are so highly prized and valuable. Any pearl necklace that has a pistachio pearl in it is often priced up because of it and yet here we have a whole strand of them and instead of the praise they deserve they are critisized by those that are not those that love the colour.

When I don't like something that a seller puts up as designs or pieces they have made obviously wanting praise I don't feel, I hold my tongue and prefer to say nothing. Sometimes this is the best way.

Dawn - Bodecia

lilliefuzzysocks,

Look into the blemishes of these pearls, look into the pearl drill holes and you will see that they are naturally coloured. No gathering of a darker colour which would be obvious if they were dyed. These are naturally coloured Tahitians. Obviously a lot of time has been spent collecting fairly matching pearls. Hence the price, which for what they are is cheap. You are not likely to see there like often if ever.

I once took 3 or 4 years collecting the best and matching in colour and size ruby beads to make a necklace. In the end I doubt I made a penny on it but I loved the end result. These days I would have marked them up to make a decent profit of at least 100% but then I was new to eBay and thought that I could not ask anymore than I had laid out.

I think many sellers have the extreme patience to match colours and sizes. It is part of being a seller and wanting to do one's best.

Dawn - Bodecia

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Yes, I was looking at these photos earlier today also, and feel certain they are Tahitians. I, too, have purchased from Inger and feel she is a very honest seller. She takes many photos of each item and cares about being accurate with her descriptions.

Douglas and Josh have both mentioned it often takes multiple harvests, even years, to create a strand or lot of the more unusual colors.

Earlier this month Narcissa (Elizabeth) and I searched the Portland Gem Faire for dyed green cfwp that looked similar to Tahitians; none were found.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Blog Entries

Well
    I enjoy seeing such a special piece from Inger. I would also enjoy seeing special pieces from each of you designers. It has been awhile since I saw anything from Pattye, or Sheryl and I wouldn''t mind seeing a couple of Dawn's designs either! I enjoy her store a great deal. Now is the time to show us your pearl CREATIONS!!!! And get us to go to your webpages! Each of you, start or find, a thread to post your beautiful pieces on! And maybe, if someone asks, it will find a forever home. It is your creativity I think that adds to much to this forum- whether you sell a piece or not is irrelevant to my hungry eyes. But to see what pearls you are working with and what you are doing is really important to me, personally.

I even like those blue wannabee Tahitians! Lovely shapes and colors!

I am going to start a thread called "Designer's Corner". This is where anyone who designs can put up their latest creation. Some designers sell and some do not, but that is not the point on this forum. What really makes me happy is to see the beautiful work so many of you do. If you see something a seller designed, you can always ask about it in a PM.
    Caitlin

Caitlin, I love the idea of "Designer's Corner". Hurry up and get it started! (Yes, I know... I AM pushy.)

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member mausketeer's Avatar

funny, i actually just came on here today to post something that sheryl has listed on etsy...... i'll start the thread (by the way, not a huge fan of that pistachio colour - it matches my skin colour too closely! lol someone once called me transparent in my 'goth' days......)

- jodie -
    "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
    - Lucy Maude Montgomery -

Just two quick follow-up comments...

Caitlin, you are a treasure.

And for the record, I love my pistachio Tahitians. In fact, one of my very favorite pairs of earrings is a pair of pistachio Kamoka drops. Great with auburn hair!

OK, back to work now...

Sheri