I was eating little neck clams that my husband and I steamed ourselfes
    and found a pearl inside one of them.
    The shell it cam out of had a deformation in it.We never heard of a
    pearl coming from a clam. Can you tell us anything about this and is the
    pearl worth anything?
    Gloria

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

Default A pearl in a clam

This does happen on occassion but is an extremely rare occurence. Pearls are found in oysters and mussels, but I have only heard of a few instances of a pearl being discovered in a clam. Theoretically any bivalve can produce a pearl, and this does include clams.

The value, however, I am not sure of. This is not a type of pearl we sell. If the quality of the pearl was very high, I imagine as a natural pearl it would have some value. I would suggest sending it to a gem-lab, like "Northwest Gem Laboratory" in Boise Idaho. Sharon Wakefield is the gemologist at this lab and is quite a pearl expert. I am sure she would be able to give you more information as this is her specialty.

Hope this has helped you out!

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Although rare, pearls are found in clams. But as these 'pearls' contain no nacre the value is typically quite low.

These pearls can grow very large. The largest I have heard of is 'The Pearl of Allah', which is an astounding 9.5-inches in length.

I would agree with POJ regarding the value of this find. If the pearl appears to be of high quality send it to a lab that specializes in pearls to determine value.