Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default The Most Valuable Tahitian Color or Overtone

Hello all,

I am reposting a question someone from another forum posted yesterday about Tahitian pearl colors.

What Tahitian pearl color is more valuable, teal blue or peacock? Also, what are the most valuable colors of Tahitians?

I am sorry, but one more. If a teal blue pearl has peacock overtones, is it the same value as a peacock Tahitian pearl?

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am not quite sure what teal blue is. Is this like a silver blue? I did a Google search for the color, and it seems to be almost a greenish-blue in some images and a light, blue-blue in others.

So anyway, I'll answer your question based on the silver-blue to greenish-blue.

In terms of Tahitian pearl value, peacock is considered the most valuable. Other colors, even fancy colors, are often sold in mixed-color lots, and primarily used for multicolor necklaces. This doesn't mean, however, that peacock is more valuable than every fancy color in that lot. There may be a few pearls with a special color like dark blue to purple, or a natural chocolate. But when looking at lots, peacock is always going to be the most costly.

A blue with peacock overtones would not necessarily be as valuable as a peacock. But it could be. It depends on the type of peacock. There is a light peacock (which the light-blue with peacock overtones would fit into), and there is a dark peacock. The dark peacock lots will have a dark bodycolor (most often a dark-green base) with peacock overtones. The dark is substantially more costly than the light.

Overall, peacock is going to be the most valuable in a strand. The cost to make a dark peacock strand would be around double (possibly more) the cost of making a silver-blue strand.

Thank you for such a rapid and detailed reply. May I beg of you another?

How about the value of the lighter blue strand then? Are these rare? How about comparing it to a green strand or a black strand without the peacock overtones?

Blog Entries

Is light blue rare? The simple answer is no.

When buying pearls in lots, there are a few different considerations including; size, quality (spots and luster), shape and color. Giving equal consideration to size, quality and shape, the value of the lot will increase as the color becomes darker.

In other words, the cheapest lot will be the light-color lot. Then the lots can be separated by medium-light, medium-dark and dark. All considerations equal, including overtones, the cost of the lots will increase as they become darker.

So it is difficult to say that a light-blue lot is always more or less valuable than a green lot. If the green lot is darker, it is going to be more valuable. But most green lots are darker, and most silver and silver-blue Tahitians come from light-color lots - the least valuable.

I have seen, however, some fancy silver-blue lots. The strand of pearls Cathy chose in this post (second photo http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/59124-post23.html) from the 'other subjects' board, was silver-blue, but has strong peacock overtones. In my opinion, it is just as beautiful as a dark-peacock strand, and even more unique, but the lot we created this strand from was less expensive than a similar dark-peacock drop-lot because the color was medium to light.

Edit: I added a picture of Cathy's strand below because you have to be logged in to see the post from the 'Other' board.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the information. There's so much contradictory stuff on the internet. This helps loads!

Blog Entries

And that is why we are here!

You're very welcome!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Knitter View Post
    Thanks for the information. There's so much contradictory stuff on the internet. This helps loads!
    Yup........ I know just what you mean. The other day, I also read THAT answer to the Tahitian pearl question (on another forum).

I assure you, there's other misinformation about pearls there, too.

I'm loving that silvery blue strand, very yummy imho! I like it!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert waimeamomi's Avatar

I just had to throw this pic in. Value is also in the eye of the beholder, and in the end, I think people are looking for beautiful pearls in the colors they love. I know that doesn't determine price, but it sure makes buying and selling more fun. I hope this pic reads. These are Kamokas I bought at the Ruckus, and this is their mother (or father). These shells were our appetizer plates, and you when people ask me about the Tahitian colors, I just show them the shells. Wowzzah!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sheryl

http://www.etsy.com/shop/mkmPearls
    https://www.facebook.com/MaunaKeaMoonlight

“All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography” Frederico Fellini
    Momi means pearl in Hawaiian!

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Josh's Avatar

Great photo Sheryl. The colors on the shell are really popping!
    Josh Humbert
    Pearl farmer and Tahitian pearl farming consultant.
    www.kamokapearls.com
    FB: http://www.facebook.com/Kamokapearls
    @KamokaJosh

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Nerida's Avatar

Josh - I gave your beautiful shell to my equally beautiful daughter... hard to get her excited with anything to do with pearls, but the stunning colours on your shell finally hit the mark...

Sheryl - I agree with you - rarity or no, 'value' is in the eye of the beholder, and personal preferences, along with enhancing natural skin colour is what seems to sell pearls more than anything else. I always use shells in my displays... nothing shows better that the colours are natural.

In what colours are Tahitian pearls available? If taking for example a 11 mm Tahitian pearl (best possible quality), what would be the price for it in the different colours? I guess this is a "stupid newbie" question but since I am in the process of buying a pearl for a pendant it would for sure help me a lot to have this information.

Blog Entries

It would first make a difference if you are looking for a pearl that is 10-11 mm or 11-12 mm. Even if the pearl is 10.95 mm, it is going to come from a smaller lot than say a pearl that is 11.05 mm, so there would be a noticeable difference in cost.

Tahitian pearls are available in nearly every color under the rainbow, from white to dark black.

The best quality would be a pearl that is round, with sharp luster, and no surface blemishes whatsoever. To most people in the trade, a pearl with one small spot is just as valuable as a pearl with no blemishes, because that spot is known as the drill spot. But some traders do pay more for the top gem without even a single spot.

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    It would first make a difference if you are looking for a pearl that is 10-11 mm or 11-12 mm. Even if the pearl is 10.95 mm, it is going to come from a smaller lot than say a pearl that is 11.05 mm, so there would be a noticeable difference in cost.

Tahitian pearls are available in nearly every color under the rainbow, from white to dark black.

The best quality would be a pearl that is round, with sharp luster, and no surface blemishes whatsoever. To most people in the trade, a pearl with one small spot is just as valuable as a pearl with no blemishes, because that spot is known as the drill spot. But some traders do pay more for the top gem without even a single spot.
    Thanks for your reply! If comparing two pearls, both equally round with equally sharp luster, same size (let's say 11 mm) but with different colours, how big difference will it be in price just because of the colour? Could a "rare" colour mean that the pearl cost 100% more than the pearl with the more "common" colour?