Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Storage & humidity for FWP

First off, thanks to everyone for their advice and guidance to me last month on pink FWP. I bought several strands while on my last Beijing trip and have mostly given them away or sold them at cost to my friends. I'm just nuts about them.

Now I'm wondering how to store mine. The necklaces came in black velour-type jewelers boxes, but I really like being able to fondle...errr...look at them at will. Also, I thought I read that they need to be exposed to some degree of humidity to maintain their good color. So I'd like to be able to haul them in & out of the bathroom easily (so I can run a bit of water for some humidity - I'm not planning on drenching them).

Are pearl folders a good choice? They seem to be slightly more open than the jewelry boxes.

I would really like something where I could easily see through it, so that I don't have to open each box to find the pink strand, or the lavender, etc.

Any suggestions? What system do y'all use?

TIA!

Nancy

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Hello Nancy

What I do is put my pieces in silk pouches\folders. The colours of the pouches can help you in getting a system going to identify whats in what colour - any normally ventilated room will be sufficient for storing them.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Too much humidity becomes damp and while damp will not damage the pearls it will start the silk rotting - just like any permanently damp natural fibre.

Pearl Collector & Designer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sueki's Avatar

Hi Sarah,
    Re. opening each box or pouch to find a particular item - this is how I keep my jewellery.
    In other drawers I have antique pieces in individual clear-lidded boxes so I can still see items at a glance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Sueki, what a clever chickadee you are.
    It really covers all aspects beautifully.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Amrita's Avatar

Susan, I had a feeling that you were a well-organised lady! Your picture of the neatly partitioned pearl-drawer just proved it! Thanks for sharing! And the clear-lidded boxes are also a great idea.

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

I would be opening my drawers all day long if they were filled with beautiful pearls!
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

Hey Sarah,

My GF keeps an abalone shell in her bathroom and just places whatever pieces she's been wearing lately in the shell. Its looks good and they get some high humidity time when they are in rotation. Plus its got her in the habit of NOT sleeping in your pearl earrings, pendants etc. - we had a problem there for a while

Really I wouldn't worry about the humidity to much unless you live in the desert or feel it really is too dry. In most cases they will be just fine in your bedroom or wherever.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That desert caveat is so true, esp. in the winter when it is crackling w electricity dry. That shell in the bathroom trick is just what's needed. In fact, since most of my strands are on Powerpro, so I can hang them on a set of little hooks I put up in the bathroom with no ill effects. The Freshwater pearls themselves love water. I put my silk-strung Tahitians in the abalone shell. Don't have any experience w akoyas, but I would worry about too much moisture and too much dryness with those.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert barbie biggs's Avatar

Lovely storage Sueki,

aren't pearls just divinity?

barbie

I was at the most well-known jeweller in Sweden two days ago to look at a jewellery box and they told me that pearls should be stored in separate boxes/pouches that are "closed"- one strand per "box". I don't know why but that was what I was told.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

...because they wanted to sell you boxes?
    In the pearl factories and wholesalers they are kept en masse in plastic bags

Pearl Collector & Designer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sueki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Precious Pearl View Post
    I was at the most well-known jeweller in Sweden two days ago to look at a jewellery box and they told me that pearls should be stored in separate boxes/pouches that are "closed"- one strand per "box". I don't know why but that was what I was told.

That'd be absolutely fine for anyone other than a p.g.'er.......
    Once your pearl wardrobe grows, it's a pain in the neck trying to find a particular item when all are stored in closed boxes, unless they are clear-lidded boxes, and then those boxes begin to take up a lot of space.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

That'd be absolutely fine for anyone other than a p.g.'er.......
    How true, Sueki!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Kevin, what a great idea! It would lokk really nice in a shell like that, too.

I'm stealing that idea!

Thanks,

Nancy aka SarahR