Default YLI Button Hole Silk Thread

For anyone who's interested, I've just discovered YLI button hole silk thread on line at joggles.com. They have an incredible assortment of colours.

Knotty, can you tell me what size this thread is? I've used Gudebrod silk thread in sizes D (.305mm/.012") & E (.325mm/.0128) and Griffin silk cord in sizes 0 (0.30mm/.012") & 1 (0.35mm/.014"). Recently, I've tried a variety of synthetics and I'm quite happy with the results, but I'd like to give your silk a try, as you're so pleased with YLI, and it comes in so many gorgeous colours. My only concern is that I use a double thread method, and it may be too thick.

Thank you,

Serenity

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

Hmmmm, interesting. YLI should be able to state what the size is. Where did you get the MM sizes? Does each company use the same size chart? All I know is, it's 1000 denier. I'm unfamiliar with the other silks so I can't compare them. I double mine too. I'm quite sure if you used only a single thread with the buttonhole twist, it would be far too thin. I'm going to take a look at joggles.com.
    ------------------
    Wow! I like them! That's the price I pay anyway. It's a 20MM card. It will come with Japanese writing on it which Salem translated for me on a thread somewhere around here. I forgot to check the shipping. I did a quick search on thread sizes and got plumbing supplies.
    Last edited by knotty panda; 05-04-2008 at 03:36 PM.
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Where did you get the MM sizes? Does each company use the same size chart?
    Vendors state the manufacturer's thread sizes on their site. I've created my own chart with sizes of various brands I've used. I'll contact Joggles to see if they know the thread size. If not, I'll throw caution to the wind and order some.

Serenity

jerin

Please let us know the results so we can order too the right size, i.e. size d or E as in Gudebrod Champion Silk

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

I just lost a big ol' post, darn it! Maybe I can reconstruct it in the next couple of days. From what I can gather, sizes are not based on the thread size, but on weight. The larger sizes of Gudebrod is buttonhole twist.
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]