Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cracking pearls

Pearling Technologies

Default BIG Nuclei

Not sure if it is relevant but in this picture (very badly taken) there are 2 unpolished nuclei. The smaller one is 19mm.
    Name:  Nuclei.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  24.9 KB

GemGeek

Heavens! If the smaller one is 19mm, what is the size of the monster beside it?

Slraep

Last I heard, 22mm was the biggest.

http://www.financialexpress.com/old/...tent_id=169076

Slraep

Pearling Technologies

the larger one measure about 32mm

Well! I hope you aren't just showing us that technology- I hope you will explain how you achieved that size-especially since the photo won't allow us to observe much detail....

Also, who would wear such a pearl- that is- who is the market for? Is there a pinctada that can take that size and be able to stay closed?!

Slraep

Quote Originally Posted by Pearling Technologies

the larger one measure about 32mm
    Is that a composite of two hemispheres?? If not then I will need some smelling salts.....

I can't imagine who, what, where, when and why, either. Oh yah, and how?

Slraep

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Josh's Avatar

I'm pretty sure those monster nucs would be from your favorite, Slraep: Tridacna Gigas. Some time ago George from Pearling Technologies said that this endangered species was still being used for nuclei. Fortunately in Tahiti anyway, it's been banned.
    JWei, what you were told is silly. You can take a pinctada nuclei and drill it like swiss cheese and it still won't fall apart.
    Josh Humbert
    Pearl farmer and Tahitian pearl farming consultant.
    www.kamokapearls.com
    FB: http://www.facebook.com/Kamokapearls
    @KamokaJosh

Pearling Technologies

I didn't mean to start a debte re the nuclei itself - it was just to show that larger nuclei can and have been produced. I also don't doubt that there would not be an animal that could take a nuclei so large let alone find someone willing enough to wear it if it was covered with nacre.

We used to routinely manufacture and sell nuclei up to about 6.3bu (about 19mm), mostly when wild shells were the mainstay of the Australian industry. Nowadays with hatchery production, sizes have been pegged back a little. Also, really big mussel shells are difficult to get and when you can get some, they are so old that the quality tends to be poor. This lead to cracking and breakages.

It doesn't take a really big nuclei to make a larger pearl when you consider a 5.3bu (16mm) bead could yield a pearl around 22mm.

The large nuclei in the picture (again sorry for the quality) is one piece and is a Bironite nuclei. We hand made the larger one although the smaller one (if you can call 19mm small) was made on our machines.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Josh's Avatar

Hey George, a little controversy is OK. Eminem says we need a little anyway.
    The biggest nuc I have in my possession is the 6.3 bu you gave me years ago. Still haven't found an oyster that wants it! Some day...
    Josh Humbert
    Pearl farmer and Tahitian pearl farming consultant.
    www.kamokapearls.com
    FB: http://www.facebook.com/Kamokapearls
    @KamokaJosh

CortezPearls

Dear God!!! Any oyster would be "stuffed to death" with such a HUGE nucleus!!! Bironite intoxication happens (ask the oyster).

Kidding aside...I would like to Welcome George Ventouras to the Forum. It is good to have an old acquaintace join our group. We can all benefit from your knowledge and experience.

Welcome!