Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mustika Pearls

Default Mustika Pearls

I just found Mustika Pearls on internet. I have never heard of them and from what I did read they are considered magical and their origin is not from mussels but plants and animals. Sounds like kidney stones to me It would seem they come from Indonesia and are considered "other pearls". Wasn't sure where to post my question, but can anyone enlighten me on the subject?
    Julie L. Crawley
    President and Founder
    ThePearlShoppe.com

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is an article about them on Pearl Society: http://pearlsociety.typepad.com/my_w...lore-mu-2.html

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

My intense albeit brief encounter with pearls has left no stone—bezoar or otherwise—unturned (thus my 600+ posts). The following threads here at Pearl-Guide are worth reviewing. Once again, the inclusiveness of this forum is on display!

The Nagasari Tree Pearl drop in the first thread below continues to be among the most satisfying of our 'pearl' acquisitions.

http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/nat...alcareous.html
    http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/nat...-pearls-2.html
    (especially towards the end)
    http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/nat...rab-pearl.html
    http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/nat...-9-pearls.html

There are numerous other pertinent threads as well, grouped under 'Natural Pearls.'
    Steve
    =======

Jeremy,
    Thanks! It was a more informative and interesting article than the one I found.

Steve,
    Many pardons. I am guilty. I admit I haven't combed through all the threads, I seem to hit the "today's posts" too much without exploring enough I blame it on needing more than 24 hours in a day Promise to explore more before asking redundant questions.
    Julie L. Crawley
    President and Founder
    ThePearlShoppe.com

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar

I love cloud pearls. Just the thought that there could be such a thing -- and not have it melt. On another note, did you see the link for the Zebra Mussels? Someone is stringing them! Talk about nightmare on Pearl Street! I'd be afraid they'd cover me in the middle of the night.
    Last edited by knotty panda; 10-31-2008 at 01:53 AM.
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by pearlshoppe View Post
    Many pardons. I am guilty…I seem to hit the "today's posts"
    Same here. But no need to apologize, as you succeeded in exhuming threads long buried!
    Steve
    =======

Quote Originally Posted by knotty panda View Post
    did you see the link for the Zebra Mussels?
    Not sure, can you link?
    Steve
    =======

Slraep

Quote Originally Posted by smetzler View Post

Same here. But no need to apologize, as you succeeded in exhuming threads long buried!
    Hi Steve,

You forgot one more thread. Common, you know, the one with William Shatner and his kidney stone...

Slraep

Pearl Knotting & Wire Expert Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert knotty panda's Avatar
    Pretty Panda pic by nlerner on her U.S. excursion last year, San Diego Zoo.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Awesome necklace! Although, I'd never thought of using invasive species as a source for jewelry.

And thanks to you Knotty, I'll probably have nightmares about zebra mussels!

Quote Originally Posted by Slraep View Post
    Hi Steve,

You forgot one more thread. Common, you know, the one with William Shatner and his kidney stone...

Slraep
    While human pearls are stratospheric in the shamanistic heirarchy, that thread was distinctly tongue-in-cheek (blasphemous) and unworthy of reintroduction. Notwithstanding, if someone manages to post a photo of Shatner's bezoar and it turns out to be even half as pretty as the Nagasari Tree Pearl (presuming the divinable presence of a living spirit), I'd be happy to post the link…

Knotty: Puzzled as to how the zebras come to play here?
    Steve
    =======

While human pearls are stratospheric in the shamanistic heirarchy, that thread was distinctly tongue-in-cheek (blasphemous) and unworthy of reintroduction. Notwithstanding, if someone manages to post a photo of Shatner's bezoar and it turns out to be even half as pretty as the Nagasari Tree Pearl (presuming the divinable presence of a living spirit), I'd be happy to post the link…

Knotty: Puzzled as to how the zebras come to play here?
    That's one link I will pass on And your question to Knotty- the zebra mussels "was transported to the Great Lakes in ballast water and on the hulls of ships", zebras are on this thread because we like to explore new horizons on PG and zebras in general (the four legged kind) by way of zoos? Sorry, Friday started early on the East coast; as they say it's five o'clock somewhere
    Julie L. Crawley
    President and Founder
    ThePearlShoppe.com

Quote Originally Posted by pearlshoppe View Post
    …zebras are on this thread because we like to explore new horizons…
    Sounds good to me!
    Steve
    =======

Slraep

There are some videos on YouTube of it, if you really want to compare it to the Nagasari tree pearl(somehow I think not). And I was wrong, he didn't sell it for $25,000, it was $75,000. It went to charity though. Maybe you are right---forget Shatner's bezoar, when it is the man himself that is priceless.

National Pearl seems to think highly of Shatner's bezoar(no. 8). It is on their World Record Gems page along side some other curiosities(they got the selling price wrong too). Caitlin and Knotty are familiar with no. 3.

http://www.nationalpearl.com/pe-14-pound-pearl.asp

Personally, I think it is blasphemous(cool word) for putting it on the same page as painite. Gem Geek are you equally shocked? What is the gem world coming to?

Slraep
    Last edited by Slraep; 10-31-2008 at 05:23 PM.

The link Jeremy supplied at the beginning of the thread also had a link to an article on zebra mussels being used in jewelry. No great mystery.