Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Thread Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Here is a link to a clear, step by step method of stringing pearls

Henrietta Virchick's small book is a classic:Pearl and Bead Stringing

She teaches a great hand knot method. She also teaches a method with an awl.

It is a good altrnative to the Ruth Poris book mentioned above. It is a little more detailed.

WARNING:
    Just about all the methods with links in this thread and both the books- actually show pictures of one sliding the knot with the tweezers- don't do it-

No matter what method of knotting you learn, I do not recommend you insert awl or tweezers into the knot and slide the knot with them- it is too awful to do that on 45 pearls then have the knot slide off and tighten too far from the bead!

RECOMMENDATION:
    Whether you use your fingers, an awl or tweezers I recommend one puts the fingers or tweezer through the large loose knot and grab the string right next to the bead and fip it through the hole. Then, keeping your thumb on the bead,start tightening the knot down to the bead. It will go to the correct spot every time.
    Ok Our firm has knotted for 100 years my mother learnt from her aunts born in 1910's. I had to learn when I flunked out of UW. We use no tools just as Caitlin says.
    At the very least use real high quality Stainless steel darning needles. So not use for glue or anything else.
    Polish on 1200 black emry paper if necessary. SMOOTH!
    This can be used to slide the overhand knot up using 2 strand of #D,E,EE,F SILK Thread. Two strands allow us
    to pull each one [if necessary] to tighten the knot. A needle allows us to slip it into the knot and loosen if it is not tight. And retighten. If you are left handed you can not hand knot...you must use a knotter or pull up the knot with a needle. TWEEZERS are too rough. and not thin enough. If you do gold work your nails are too black.
    Finger tips must be clean and silk must be used. Japanese silk is better than Italian silk being made with longer fibers. If you want more info e-mail me. Between myself, my mother [deceased] office personel and 3 outside stringer we have over 200 years of experience.
    We learn everyday!!!
    PM
    PM

Raisondetre is offline Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I'm getting confused with the Gudebrod sizing ... according to calculations, size E is 0.0128mm which is 0.0005+ inches. That's smaller than the powerpro I use, and the color matches for a 6-6.5mm pearl/4mm rose quartz bracelet/necklace. Now, is that an appropriate size to use? I can't use powerpro as the knots will be too big and the pearls are probably too small for it to drape well. Is that even a good thread for this kind of bracelet/necklace?
    Aspiring ninja. Go Storm Shadow!

Sueki, that is GORGEOUS!!

What a beautiful sight that necklace is, Susan! Wonderful!

Sueki is offline Pearl Collector & Designer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Hi Raisondetre,
    This is just my personal opinion, and hopefully some of the knotting gurus will be along later, but I reckon silk size E is (or knots up at) slightly thicker than Powerpro 10lb. weight.
    The disadvantage with silk in this particular instance is that it is fibrous and therefore can end up thicker when knotted (and when doubling back through the end beads).
    Powerpro stays smooth and compact.
    This is just my personal opinion based on my experience using both types of thread.

jerin Guest

Hi Raisondetre, I totally agree with Susan that Power Pro in most cases IS THE BEST you can use

1) because the knots are so dainty and the line will go through almost any drillholes and

2) no more need to use glue of any kind, because now you use the "Thread Zap" by The Bead Smith as it will melt the knot "together" nicely. The important thing though is to have a fresh battery so the zapper gets hot enough to melt the threads fast.

I have lots of silk spools in every imaginable colour but I am now reverting to Power Pro even with the smaller pearls so I donŽt risk to get glue into my pearls.

Powerpro comes in sizes from 6lb-8lb and 10lb which are all good for tiny pearls to 20lb and 30lb for most average pearls and large pearls 11mm and up. the 30lb is 0.011 in diameter and the others are smaller though I don't have that info handy.

Sueki is offline Pearl Collector & Designer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I've just finished stringing the Josh keishis and semi-baroques necklace using Dandyline.
    I used the 20lb. weight, and found it very easy to use - it looks and feels like silk, and the drape is good.
    Because they are keishis (I presume) the necklace needs to "settle" a little, as the drape isn't as smooth-flowing as I'm used to.

The Dandyline is a tad bulkier than Powerpro, so I had to ream the end few pearls in order to double back.
    But overall I'm very impressed with it.
    It is very strong, and supposed not to stretch - even when wet.......
    So thank you Caitlin, for the heads-up.

I saw a Mikimoto bracelet this past fall that was designed for breast cancer awareness month. It was white akoya pearls strung on pink silk. It was the "Everything is possible with hope bracelet." The pink was subtle and I thought the simplicity to the design was gorgeous. I have been stringing pearls for a little while now and it got me thinking about using colorful silk that contrasts with the pearls as part of the design, but I just haven't really gotten it right. Does anyone have thoughts on this?

BTW- Sueki- I am in love with that last necklace you posted. It is beautiful.

-Jacqui

Hi MWP,

Our own Cathybear, on her website, has done some combinations with colored silk, not sure what might be up there now, but worth checking out, www.catherinecardellinipearls.com.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Thanks Pattye! Wow! What a site. She has beautiful pieces on there. She does have some examples of use of different colored silk. That is helpful. I am going to poke around a little more on there.

Thanks again-

Jacqui
    Steve and Jacqui
    www.MuseumWayPearls.com
    888-817-2843
    CustomerService@MuseumWayPearls.com
    Enter "PearlGuide" at Checkout for 10% off

Hanaleimom is offline Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Check your local sporting goods store in the USA for Power Pro supply. Sports Authority also carries them in various weights and colors. The big plus is you don't have to pay shipping and handling.
    Cathy

Smile fine thread for natural pearls

For years we have used "O" weight from Holland thread company. Pure dye machine silk. We don't do many natural pearls lately but I know my mother had 'OO"
    and "OOO". If the real fine is not available try untwisting the thread and remove a strand then with bees was very lightly draw the remaining two threads through the wax ONLY ONCE. To much wax is no good one draw will aid the stringing 'adventure'

I believe that using stiff wire with a natural product is treason and beadlon borderrs on that. Pearls are all natural to some extent and to use anything but thread is a travesty.

pearlman

Default knotting

No matter what method of knotting you learn, I do not recommend you insert awl or tweezers into the knot and slide the knot with them- it is too awful to do that on 45 pearls then have the knot slide off and tighten too far from the bead!

I agree!! if you use a tool and TWO threads you only need to gently pull each simultaneously in opposite directions to tighten. You can add leverage by using the thumb knuckle as leverage.

pearl-man

Wink double back through

Quote Originally Posted by Sueki View Post
    Hi Raisondetre,
    This is just my personal opinion, and hopefully some of the knotting gurus will be along later, but I reckon silk size E is (or knots up at) slightly thicker than Powerpro 10lb. weight.
    The disadvantage with silk in this particular instance is that it is fibrous and therefore can end up thicker when knotted (and when doubling back through the end beads).
    Powerpro stays smooth and compact.
    This is just my personal opinion based on my experience using both types of thread.

Morning...Cut out a strand one or two beads before you go back through and you will have no problem doubleing back. Strength decrease is not an issue cause the item is only a necklace and not used to tow cars.

pearl-man