Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Ready For Grafting
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NewYork City
    Posts
    56

    Default is here anyone can tell me the value of this set?

    I am very intrested in this set,the seller told me it's akoya,The cream pearls in the necklace are about 6mm on average. Cream body color with rose and yellow overtones. The larger oval pearls in the earrings are about 7.5mm x 10mm. they also have a trademark AI and 14k at back.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  2. #2
    Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,798
    Blog Entries
    2
    Last edited by jshepherd; 02-20-2012 at 06:45 PM.

  3. #3
    Ready For Grafting
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NewYork City
    Posts
    56

    Default another quesion about Akoya color

    I had some Mikimoto pearls,they all have kind of rose overtone.why this one have yellow overtone? is that means they are lower level pearls?

    Quote Originally Posted by applecheek View Post
    I am very intrested in this set,the seller told me it's akoya,The cream pearls in the necklace are about 6mm on average. Cream body color with rose and yellow overtones. The larger oval pearls in the earrings are about 7.5mm x 10mm. they also have a trademark AI and 14k at back.

  4. #4
    Ready For Grafting
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NewYork City
    Posts
    56

    Default thank you so much for your help!!!

    silly question:how can you tell from pictures?

    Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    The pearls are freshwater, not akoya.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,798
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    The shape is a dead giveaway.

    I would be cautious with and description provided by the seller because most of the time, sellers of freshwater know they are selling freshwater, and when the pearls are passed off as higher-value akoya, it shows a lack of ethical representation and ethical dealings.

  6. #6
    Ready For Grafting
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NewYork City
    Posts
    56

    Default thank you jshepherd!

    great point!
    glad I am here!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    The shape is a dead giveaway.

    I would be cautious with and description provided by the seller because most of the time, sellers of freshwater know they are selling freshwater, and when the pearls are passed off as higher-value akoya, it shows a lack of ethical representation and ethical dealings.

  7. #7
    Ready For Grafting
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NewYork City
    Posts
    56

    Default

    the seller sale this as estate pieces.could you please take a look and tell me how much it should value in your opnion?
    thank you and I just watched your video,great point!
    Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    The shape is a dead giveaway.

    I would be cautious with and description provided by the seller because most of the time, sellers of freshwater know they are selling freshwater, and when the pearls are passed off as higher-value akoya, it shows a lack of ethical representation and ethical dealings.

  8. #8
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    near Tucson AZ
    Posts
    8,564
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    I just want to elaborate on Jeremy's shape remark. Cultured Freshwater pearls are not as round as akoyas, which have a bead inside to keep the shape round and lesson the time it takes to get a wearable size pearl. Freshwater's trademark is that there will be pearls that are slightly off round, which can be clearly seen in your photos.

    People who sell FW as akoya are committing fraud, because they can get more money when they trick people. That alone does not allow me to trust the diamonds either.

    I can see why you like the design. I hope you find something similar!
    Caitlin

    How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

    My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Victoria Canada, and Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,358

    Default

    X2 - the squashed potato shape of some of the pearls in the strand are classic freshwater.

    I think its a pretty set but not terribly expensive pearls were used, you may want to contact the dealer you purchased from with a link to this thread.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

  10. #10
    Ready For Grafting
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NewYork City
    Posts
    56

    Default

    thanks everyone.
    I really like the set,thought was freshwater pearls.but after read seller
    s describtion about "akoya"start to curious about the color etc...
    thank you guys for your points!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Canning View Post
    X2 - the squashed potato shape of some of the pearls in the strand are classic freshwater.

    I think its a pretty set but not terribly expensive pearls were used, you may want to contact the dealer you purchased from with a link to this thread.

  11. #11
    Ready For Grafting
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NewYork City
    Posts
    56

    Default

    glad to meet you here and thank you for let me join!
    I got a lot of questions as a newbie

    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I just want to elaborate on Jeremy's shape remark. Cultured Freshwater pearls are not as round as akoyas, which have a bead inside to keep the shape round and lesson the time it takes to get a wearable size pearl. Freshwater's trademark is that there will be pearls that are slightly off round, which can be clearly seen in your photos.

    People who sell FW as akoya are committing fraud, because they can get more money when they trick people. That alone does not allow me to trust the diamonds either.

    I can see why you like the design. I hope you find something similar!

  12. #12
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    near Tucson AZ
    Posts
    8,564
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Bluesea just showed us a pearl and zircon set on another thread. He designed and manufactured it. He uses CFWP, vermeil, and zircons to keep the cost down. Maybe he can design you one. His looks runway ready. I am saying this without knowing if it is possible, he is a new member and we are just getting to know him.

    If you want the best pearls, try a really well known pearl seller. Someone like that might also have a designer who can make the metal and diamond parts very similar.

    I am going to recommend Pearl Paradise, because it has top quality pearls, including the absolute top quality akoyas, which are certified under the strictest standards by a Japanese lab. I am almost positive PP has an in-house designer who does the metal and diamond parts of his jewelry.

    If you want to see what the top quality freshwaters look like, go to PP. They are the roundest you can get, have luster comparable to the akoya, and cost a fraction of the akoyas.

    Would you mind sharing the price of the set? Sometimes pricing tells you a lot. You may be able to get a reduction in price by confronting him with his foolishness, then just change out the pearls when you get it.

    just my 2cents. I hope you get what you want.
    Caitlin

    How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

    My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

  13. #13
    Ready For Grafting
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NewYork City
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    Bluesea just showed us a pearl and zircon set on another thread. He designed and manufactured it. He uses CFWP, vermeil, and zircons to keep the cost down. Maybe he can design you one. His looks runway ready. I am saying this without knowing if it is possible, he is a new member and we are just getting to know him.

    If you want the best pearls, try a really well known pearl seller. Someone like that might also have a designer who can make the metal and diamond parts very similar.

    I am going to recommend Pearl Paradise, because it has top quality pearls, including the absolute top quality akoyas, which are certified under the strictest standards by a Japanese lab. I am almost positive PP has an in-house designer who does the metal and diamond parts of his jewelry.

    If you want to see what the top quality freshwaters look like, go to PP. They are the roundest you can get, have luster comparable to the akoya, and cost a fraction of the akoyas.

    Would you mind sharing the price of the set? Sometimes pricing tells you a lot. You may be able to get a reduction in price by confronting him with his foolishness, then just change out the pearls when you get it.

    just my 2cents. I hope you get what you want.
    great point,I am searching at PP now....
    It was estate jewlery auction,I paid $257 for this set.
    how do you think the price?

  14. #14
    Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    4,798
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    I think you did fine. You did very well if the gold turns out to be genuine gold, and the diamonds real too.

  15. #15
    Ready For Grafting
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    NewYork City
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    I think you did fine. You did very well if the gold turns out to be genuine gold, and the diamonds real too.
    but not for the most important partearls...is this your point?
    please help me take a look the Tahitian ring I put in Tahitian group please......and the gold SS pearls....is this sounds too demanding?