It's a question that has been bouncing around my head for a while.
Waters around the globe are increasingly being contaminated with heavy metals, mercury being a biggie.
Pearl molluscs(Akoya especially) filter feed and so ingest large amounts of pollutants which accumulate in their soft bodies and in their shells. Akoya molluscs in particular have been used for pollution monitoring. How does this affect the pearl? If Akoya shells have shown high levels of mercury, lead, cadmium and thullium(just to name a few), it must follow that the pearl is contaminated too. Are there any consequences to wearing pearls? How do the affected pearls affect us?!? I wonder. Some people are super sensitive to heavy metals--especially mercury. Anyway, heavy metals are bad news for anybody.