Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Hanaleimom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkan 168 View Post
    Thanks Cathy for the tips re: Santa Monica. The Shore Hotel is likely to be above my budget and am currently considering the Ocean View Hotel which is more affordable.

DK
    Oh that one is nice too. We were in the area near the time they were to renovate. The reviews weren't great due to worn carpets, tired looking furniture, cramp, dirty, etc. It has a fresh look now compared to what it was then. We got such a great rate at the Shore that we couldn't resist. Those rates are gone now.
    Cathy

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hanaleimom View Post
    Oh that one is nice too. We were in the area near the time they were to renovate. The reviews weren't great due to worn carpets, tired looking furniture, cramp, dirty, etc. It has a fresh look now compared to what it was then. We got such a great rate at the Shore that we couldn't resist. Those rates are gone now.
    Goodie, just hope it stays nice by the time I come over in 2016!

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Quote Originally Posted by KarinK View Post
    But, Cathy, all her want-to sights are in Hollywood Can you add any Hollywood recommendations to your great list?

- Karin
    I saw her original post. But since other posters suggest SM as a base, I thought I'd add some details. Normally I read tripadvisor for hotel reviews, and then rely on yelp.com for restaurants. We chose The Lobster based on Yelp review and thought it was a waste of waiting time and money. I figure I'd pass it on. There are so many things to see in Los Angeles. If Dk has more time after her Hollywood sights, she can see more attractions. The Getty Center is a nice place to spend the day. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...alifornia.html

I have not ventured to Hollywood area so I do not have anything to contribute.
    Cathy

I doubt if I would visit the Getty Centre, as art is wasted on me, unless it is related to food and jewellery!

However, I intend to eat well for certain!

My holiday format is not everyone's cup of tea, however, I tend to fit sight-seeing between meals, and not the other way round!

It is probably too early to recce for places to eat as chefs come and go, and what may be brilliant now could be terrible in 2 years' time.

DK

P.S. I am likely to skip the rides when I visit Universal Studio, and just do the studio tour, as it is kind of sad for a white-haired woman of a certain age going on rides on her own.
    Last edited by dkan 168; 08-26-2014 at 07:33 PM.
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Quote Originally Posted by dkan 168 View Post
    I doubt if I would visit the Getty Centre, as art is wasted on me, unless it is related to food and jewellery!

DK

P.S. I am likely to skip the rides when I visit Universal Studio, and just do the studio tour, as it is kind of sad for a white-haired woman of a certain age going on rides on her own.
    Perhaps the jewelry district for gold findings? Bellafindings.com is based there. They have lots more than what's on their website.

http://www.jewelry-los-angeles.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewelry..._(Los_Angeles)
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Hanaleimom View Post
    Perhaps the jewelry district for gold findings? Bellafindings.com is based there. They have lots more than what's on their website.

http://www.jewelry-los-angeles.com/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewelry..._(Los_Angeles)
    Bella Findings was on the card. However, as nearly all my future jewellery projects have some form of interchangeable element in them, I may arrange to meet with Takayas Mizuno to see if he could help me to turn them into reality instead.

For example, I have a grand idea for a pearl clasp with a 17mm approx. round Danbrurite that can take one strand of 13mm+ SSP/Tahitian, two strands of 7-8mm CFWP/Akoya, or three strands of smaller CFWP, and be able to be worn as a stand alone pendant, or even a ring!

Dream on I know, however, blame the Yaguruma sash clip and other convertible jewellery for giving me the inspirations.

DK

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

There are plenty of attractions (at Universal Studios) where people go in as a group, like outdoor theaters and IMAX movie. Look online for fan forums that will answer questions.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

Quote Originally Posted by GemGeek View Post
    There are plenty of attractions (at Universal Studios) where people go in as a group, like outdoor theaters and IMAX movie. Look online for fan forums that will answer questions.
    Will do, and thanks for the advice.

DK

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Update & I know the thread is old.

LA has put in alot of new buses & trains over the past few years. You can ride and transder to multiple buses for $1.75 in a 2 hr period or buy a one day pass & ride all you want for approx $7x ( it changes & was $5 a few years back)
    Still you have to check the last bus time as you would not want to have dinner & find out you had no way to get home.

Getty, La Brea Tar Pits. Even the art museum more near UCLA area? Walk of fame is OK but some parts of Hollywood Blvd are not really good at night.

I don;t like Universal but its ery touristy. You walk round in ahuge circle with restaurants & shops. Its crowded & I never came home feeling good about it but to each his own...

Some hotels wll arrange tours & supply there own buses so it could be an option.

I am fond of the Sportman Lodge in Ventura Blvd in Studio City. The grounds are huge & park like.
    They had a swan pond & a gazebo...I stayed there twice in the late 80's & it was nice.

Valley has a few nice big gardens if you're into that.