Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

Default Safe area as base for a lone female traveller in Los Angeles

Hi peeps,

I have started to plan for my trip to attend the Ruckus in 2016 for budgeting purposes, with the intention to book my flights and hotel as earlier as I can in late July/early August 2015, as I am likely to stay in LA for a few extra days to be a tourist.

I shall be using public transport. Being a fan of films/movies, I shall definitely be visiting Universal Studio, Warner Studio, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Capitol Building, Union Station, Rodeo Drive, Beverley Wilshire Hotel (Pretty Woman is probably my favourite chic flick), etc...

I would probably be going out to eat and have a few cocktails in the evenings.

I believe I should based myself in Hollywood, and have short-listed 3 hotels for my stay: Loews Hollywood Hotel; The Standard, Hollywood; and The Moment Hotel. The Loews looks like it has the best location for the majority of attractions that I am planning to visit.

Just wondering if anyone, locals or otherwise, would be able to advise if I have made the right choice in choosing the Loews as my base please, as in whether its surrounding area is safe for me to go out in the evenings on my own to go to restaurants and bars etc., as I shall not have a Mick Dundee that carries a big knife as my companion.

Also, I would be very grateful if anyone can advise me where I could find good shops for authentic Hawaiian/Aloha shirts in LA, so that I can add a few to my collection (they are my warmer weather outfit of choice).

I thought about extending my trip to Hawaii to go shopping for shirts, however, my budget is unlikely to stretch that far for the 2016 trip.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice in advance.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

I don't know anything about the hotels, just want to add that back in 1982 I visited LA and went by public transportation. It is not something I would recommend to anyone. Back then the busses were few and far between and it was really hard to know you'd end up in a questionable neighborhood when changing busses just by looking at the map.

I remember trying to get back from the Griffith Observatory and ending up waiting for the bus in an all afro american neighborhood with two guys fighting about one meter away, one of them kicking the other in the head while he was down. No one bothered me or my friend but I was so scared.

Personally I would leave some room in the budget for cab fare if a rented car isn't an option.

- Karin

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

I might suggest you stay near the water, maybe Santa Monica area? You have the pier, beaches, you can walk down to venice beach or up to 3rd street promenade for shopping and eating.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

KarinK,

Thanks for the recommendation to budget for taxis.

Kevin,

I have not considered anywhere near a beach or Disney, as they are not on my list of To Do (not a beach person unlike my dog is with me as he loves sand baths). However, thanks for the advice, and I shall recce Santa Monica area.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I was going to leave this for the California people but since they have weighed in ... I , like Kevin. would suggest the Santa Monica area. It's a great , safe area. The pier is something that you see in just about every movie set in California..it's about as famous a site as the Hollywood sign. Nice small downtown area for wandering and restaurants.

I concur regarding the buses...do not plan on taking public transportation..it's not like England or Australia where everyone takes the bus. You need taxi money. Also my impression (and that of my 24yr old son who spent 10 days in the Hollywood /LA area) is that Hollywood is not much of a place to stay. Better to taxi in and spend the day...or look at day tour companies that may run buses that pick up in Santa Monica. There are tons of tours available.

Also, if you like art..put the Guggenheim on your list..fabulous gallery...I was just there in February... so glad I went.

We had a day trip to LA from Ventura Beach last summer. The crowds around the Chinese Theater were CRAZY. We didn't even stop. It would have been impossible to actually see the pavement. I think it needs to be visited late or early but be a little careful with going late unless things have changed so much in the last years that's no longer seedy. But I guess that's part of the story in Pretty Woman as well

I can recommend the La Brea Tar Pits. I went there when I was 18 and still remember it vividly. And the Griffith Observatory. You have a great view of the LA skyline and the Hollywood sign from there. Universal Studios is in my opinion an expensive theme park. It's fun for a theme park but it doesn't actually have anything to do with film production.

- Karin

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

We were just at the LaBrea Tar Pits ... fun and interesting!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

I concur on Santa Monica. It's a great place to stay and a great place to spend the evenings walking around and going to restaurants. Wilshire runs right through it too, which you can take straight out to the tar pits, which is the mid-Wilshire area.

You would be fine at Loews too, but for evening exploring, Santa Monica near the beach would be better.

Don't try Venice though, which is right next door to Santa Monica. That's an area I wouldn't advise walked around in the evening.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

If you don't want to stay near to the beaches, then I'd suggest Westwood by UCLA. It's not too far from either, and is a decent location. And of course there is Beverly Hills...check booking.com to see what kind of discount rates are around. Sometimes rooms are best book closer to your travel dates because they discount to sell out.

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post

Don't try Venice though, which is right next door to Santa Monica. That's an area I wouldn't advise walked around in the evening.
    Ditto - interesting to check out during the day but not for the faint of heart at night.

Thanks peeps, I shall check out Santa Monica.

DK

As I love my Island, I'll probably not do the US of A But, this was a good read. I hope all have a good time.
    Rusty & Bronwyn Tully
    Torres Pearls Pty Ltd
    Turtlehead Island
    Escape River

Faarrr North Queensland, Australia.

www.torrespearls.com

Dk, just today there is an article in my paper about the beaches of LA. Now, it's not going to make a lot of sense to you as it is in Danish but I was thinking the recommendations are valid and you can look them up on English sites. On the first page there is a hotel in Santa Monica and a restaurant.
    http://politiken.dk/rejser/turengaar...i-los-angeles/

- Karin

PS

And the paper has another article about cool places around Hollywood. I figure Google translate can get most of the meaning. http://politiken.dk/rejser/turengaar...d-bag-facaden/

- Karin

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

As a single female traveler from the east coast USA, this is good information to know for future reference!!