Default These are my Grandmother's pearls

Name:  IMG_9219.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  15.6 KBName:  IMG_9220.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  14.9 KBName:  IMG_9224.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  12.5 KB

I am curious if anyone could guess as to what is their value?

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I would like to see a photo that is not blurry, taken on a dull white background. I can tell the clasp is exquisite. Do you have any info as to a timeline? It does look like it sold in a fine jewelry store. How long is it?
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Default More pics

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I would like to see a photo that is not blurry, taken on a dull white background. I can tell the clasp is exquisite. Do you have any info as to a timeline? It does look like it sold in a fine jewelry store. How long is it?

Name:  IMG_9252.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  9.1 KBName:  IMG_9254_edited-1.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  15.0 KBName:  IMG_9257.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  10.0 KB

The lenght is 22in including clasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post

Also, the pearls were purchased at a high end jewelry store in St. Louis in the 50's or 60's. (I should mention that my grandmother only wore the best of things) Also, the individual pearls measure 4mm in diameter.

I can't tell if they are really pearls ie the "tooth test", though they certainly look like it! They look like high quality akoyas, a rather gorgeous piece! And ,yes top of the line.
    Caitlin

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

They are 7-8mm is what I meant! The color is more of a rosy white

I know that they are real %100. When I was little my grandpa showed me the tooth test on them Would you have an idea as to their value?

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Welcome, CCallahan

Looking forward to additional photos. What length is the strand? Any markings on the clasp, 14k, 585, 750, 18k? Approximately what size are the pearls? Do you have a story to share about how your Grandmother got her pearls?
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

That clasp takes the pearls out of my realm for an estimate. For a really lovely strand of 7-8mm vintage akoyas, I always look at EBay's completed listing s for comparison. http://www.ebay.com/csc/i.html?_from...H_Sold=1&rt=nc
    The first necklace looks very similar. It probably sold for no more than 10-15% off named price.

Of course someone else might have a better idea.
    Caitlin

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I re-ran Caitlin's link with US only results (to eliminate all the Chinese sellers who call freshwater strands "akoya") and I think she was referring to this one, listed at $200 but sold for Best Offer (actually selling price will eventually be visible on feedback page if/when feedback is posted):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKOYA-PEARL-...p2047675.l2557

Hi, I idn't know that didn't work. It was this one. I think the clasp takes it out of the $200 category.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLAWLESS-EST...item4abcb6f13f

Somewhere in the small print, it says this one is a Mikimoto. That does add a premium for the brand name. So the value is dependent on the clasp.
    Caitlin

Pearl Designer & Collector Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Hello ccallahan,

Do let us know more about the clasp i.e. what karat gold and what gemstone it has and also try taking a close up macro photo of the necklace on white kitchen paper or similar. Also for the photo try winding around and around as a couple of those sites showed. This will give a good look at all the pearls and hopefully show the full lustre and beauty of them.

I think from your photos so far the necklace is worth far more than the $200 piece that was on eBay. They were under-priced and the buyer got a real bargain from the looks of them. But the better the photo and more information regarding the clasp will all us to get a better idea of quality all round and hence a more accurate price. You can't go by the Mikimoto pearls because the name alone makes them worth more.

Dawn - Bodecia
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
    eBay Seller ID dawncee333 and natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.

The clasp is 14k Gold and the diamonds on the clasp are real

Name:  IMG_9260.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  24.5 KBName:  IMG_9262.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  26.7 KB

More pictures (back of the clasp)I will do some with the front of the clasp in a bit. Thank you all so much for your input!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Now they are showing their true beauty! Pretty spectacular! Are you wanting a value that you might receive if you sell them, or retail replacement value for insurance purposes? The length at 22 inches is rather unusual, but adds value.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----