Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

This old embroiderer's trick has helped me with the twisting: Periodically when stringing and/or knotting, let the loose thread drop down and hang free, with the needle at the end, toward the floor. Allow the needle and thread to dangle for a minute or so, nudging if necessary, to allow the thread to unwind any tension and twist it's acquired. Do this every so often as you go along. Won't help with twist added as you go through the last few pearls, but it's amazing how much twist thread can gather even just in stringing beads.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Pearly-Whites's Avatar

Cathy--great suggestion!!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    This old embroiderer's trick has helped me with the twisting: Periodically when stringing and/or knotting, let the loose thread drop down and hang free, with the needle at the end, toward the floor. Allow the needle and thread to dangle for a minute or so, nudging if necessary, to allow the thread to unwind any tension and twist it's acquired. Do this every so often as you go along. Won't help with twist added as you go through the last few pearls, but it's amazing how much twist thread can gather even just in stringing beads.
    Yes, I do this too, Cathy! It's amazing how easily a little twist can dangle your thread!

This thread is so interesting and informative! I have a question, although maybe there is another thread for this- I notice some pearl sellers ask what size hole to drill. How do you know what size?

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Good question, Sue Bee. Mostly it depends on how you will use the pearl. Let's say you want to make a pendant. If you already have a bail, you can measure the thickness of the post and request the hole be drilled slightly larger; same thing when making a pair of earrings.

Most strands are matched and drilled before being offered for sale, so one has to work with whatever size the holes are, usually 0.70mm to 0.90mm. The stringer than has to adjust the thread size to fit the holes. Usually the larger holes are in the heavier/larger pearls, but it can vary.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

That is a great question, SueBee. And pattye's response is spot on! I find that Tahitians are usually drilled between .8-1.0mm. My preference is to drill the smallest hole possible, but some larger pearls are better balanced on thicker thread (I use Beader's Secret exclusively). I have drilled pearls up to 2.5mm so they can be placed onto a setting, or threaded through cord.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Cant add anything new to this as Jersey Pearl and and Pattye have covered it . I'd just reaffirm that if they are little pearls then .7 is fine and by little I mean up to 8mm .. after that I tend to use .9 on almost everything . I've found lots of findings for smaller pearls have pins that are around .6 .7 so you wouldn't want the hole much bigger.
    Instagram Pearlzaustralia

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Oh, yes, excellent point! Glue/epoxy is great, however, it works best when the fit is close. Too large a hole with too small a peg isn't ideal.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove

Thank you, Pattye, JerseyPearl, and Katbran!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Camelotshadow's Avatar

Wow...will have to set aside some time to go thru this thread...Amazing detail.

Thanks!