Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Several epoxy glues are sold for "crystal" sticking, but even if some industrial epoxy resins are now UV resistant, I have not found any in sticking packaging. So I keep care: there's no technical notices saying that crystal epoxy glues are UV resistant, to stay really colourless after a long time.
    Edit : After searching, I have found that araldit 2028-1 is a colourless and UV resistant glue, but it's a polyurethane resin, not epoxy (wich theorically would not get any problems, just to try contact with pearls first, because some glues' composition solvents kill them, as in UV gluing adhesives for glass).
    Last edited by ericw; 10-22-2017 at 11:41 AM.

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Hello Eric, The Araldite I use and mentioned is a different product to this 2028-1 which appears to be aimed more at industrial applications.

The araldite clear (ultra) is an epoxy, and has very good characteristics for gluing pearls.

Australia Is well known for its harsh sun and Australians are not shy in wearing there jewellery in all sorts of conditions - I haven't yet seen an issue from araldite affected by UV - other glues yes.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member ericw's Avatar

Maybe clear araldite ( or other colourless epoxy) is less sensitive to UV, but it's the generic problem of epoxy resins, and if the producer don't certify, technically, that it's not sensitive to UV, I can't tell more than him. Epoxy can take several years to turn yellow, but, anyway, less time than the usual one of pearls'life.
    About sticking, epoxy glue is the best, but I can provide you that general consumer epoxy supply is very far from right level of performances.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member asurazzy's Avatar

OMGGGG....Scratching my head...planning to string my tahitian strand...this look complicated...needs to buy tools n reread everything...I dont even know what gimp is...

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Gimp is French wire. It's a very tiny coil of metal, like a long snakey tube or a Slinky toy. You can cut gimp to length, like 5 mm and thread it onto your beading thread. It bends, so you can thread the gimp and the thread through the loop of the clasp. It keeps the thread from being abraded, like a little suit of armor. It comes in different colors (silver, gold, etc.) so you can match the metal in your clasp.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member asurazzy's Avatar

Oooo awesome! Thanks Bweaves!

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

You don't need tools asurazzy! Not if you use a slippery beading thread like Beaders Secret. The knot will end up where it belongs when you pull the 2 threads apart.

You need beading thread and a flexible wire needle, and something to cut the thread with (a box cutter, even.) Most of us use gimp as well for a nice professional looking finish and to protect the thread where it meets the clasp, but technically you don't need it.

I use other tools like a magnifier (my eyes are not what they used to be), a Thread Zap (but a box cutter will do), tweezers (if using a less slippery thread like Power Pro) but you don't need them.

gimp in my box:

a piece of gimp (I use cuticle trimmers to cut off a piece):

gimp when it's been pulled snugly at the clasp:

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

BWeaves, great photos of gimp! You can also find it in a variety of colors (our wonderful Pattye has a great selection). Gimp comes in different sizes too, depending on the width of your thread.
    Etsy shop: OceansCove
    Instagram: OceansCove
    Facebook: Ocean's Cove Jewelry
    Amazon Handmade: Ocean's Cove
    Pinterest: OceansCove

Professional Rethreader Senior Guide Member Bernadette's Avatar

Good advice there, the only thing I would add is regarding the gimp.

100% nylon you might get away with no gimp. On pure silk or 100% polyester I would recommend using gimp.

Where do you purchase your clasps for your strands? I've ordered an "orbit" clasp from RIoGrande. But I'm looking for good quality clasps that don't break the bank...that way I can spend more on the pearls themselves!

Gold filled clasps and sterling silver are less expensive and durable.
    Rio Grande and Bella findings are a few places you can look.

I just received an orbit clasp from RioGrande. It's so small! I'm having trouble figuring what size clasp to order. I got the 23mm one and thought that would be big enough but I think its going to be too small for my ripples. Ug so what size to do order for larger pearls?

This one is significantly larger, if you want silver:

https://www.riogrande.com/product/sterling-silver-oval-push-clasp/612461