Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Pearl Designer & Collector Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I did a really quick calculation in my head, and I do mean quick, going by eBay type prices and what I thought the might be worth. That is without really knowing exactly what I was looking at Okay get my drift. It came out at $25,000 to $30,000. For what it is worth. I don't know what kind of money you are hoping they may be worth but that is the rough figure I came up with. If the pearls are naturals that is. The emeralds half decent ones etc. The big citrine looking ring wasn't something that really appealed to me but that is just me. Not that I might not have worn it when I was younger but our tastes change. The emerald necklace you worked on is lovely. Especially that emerald. I wondered at the wire wrapping, you did a very good job.

Re the big pearls does one have a drill hole at the top or is that a minor blemish. They are very beautiful but I wouldn't stick my neck out over them. The hanging ones surely must be river pearls so maybe the big ones are too. If so you would have possibly a Mississippi or other US river pearl necklace which would have to be worth a few bob. The big ones have the look of stretched silk to them. That is just a way I think of that look. I have seen it before in big natural river pearls so do have them checked out. Do let us know.

Dawn - Bodecia
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
    eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Just one more thought on the pearl necklace with huge pearls. The setting looks like it was made for the pearls - that says something. Get them checked out.

Dawn - Bodecia
    eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

That number is HUGE and I appreciate your even coming up with one no matter how quick and dirty I have more pearl jewelry, but it's more or less minor stuff, comparatively speaking.

Yes, stretched silk, that is a really good description of those big pearls. That look is what made me think maybe they were cultured. I have never seen American freshwaters that large in person before, so I can't really say myself. But I agree with you on the rest of the pearls, they look like American river pearls to me. Maybe I'll ask to have the necklace sent to GIA for my next bday It would be nice to know definitively on those bigguns! And of course, I will most certainly post in this thread on the outcome.

Thank you for the nice comments on my emerald franken-necklace! I love doing wire work, though I'd love to do more advanced stuff too... someday
    Check out my photos here
    Instagram: @ajs.joyful.images

Do remember I don't know the sizes of most of your pearls or gems and if it is all gold. I did another rough count - fast again and still came up with over $20,000. The bracelet is another special piece and it only takes 3 or 4 really good pieces to add up quickly. But what they might be worth and what you could sell them for is a different matter. Still you must have a small fortune there. I still don't think I am too far out although I do know I am sticking my neck out.

Good luck.

Dawn - Bodecia

I just went back to the first post in this thread and saw that I didn't add any sort of description (what a newb!).
    I should do that and maybe add the rest of my lesser pieces too. Maybe I should do multi-views of each piece with descriptions in separate posts to the thread? That would certainly get me going with the more complete descriptions that I've procrastinated
    No worries, Dawn, your neck is safe!
    Check out my photos here

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I seriously doubt the pearls were replaced on the necklace. I think the necklace was made to showcase those two pearls in the larger collection- Like it was designed to use the pearls at hand. and I do not think they are cultured- In any case it is an exquisite piece of jewelry.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member hbyrne's Avatar

What an AMAZING collection! I, for one, am suffering from a huge attack of jewellery envy! Some of them are pretty much museum pieces.

Thank you Helen, I've got some envy of your pieces as well!

Caitlin, I never thought of it from that perspective, but I could see someone doing that. I would certainly do something like that. The bottom part of the necklace center can be removed so the necklace can be worn in a more casual manner.
    Check out my photos here

Hi Caitlin, so glad you are thinking what I am thinking. Aren't they marvellous..

Helen, me too.

Yes mad……. please do give us the details. You will have to virtually start again but it will be worth it for all of us.

Glad my neck won't be chopped off But your last necklace (big pearls) is the focus of all. Don't let it slip out of your fingers unless it is in my direction. Hah. Seriously do keep them safe.

Dawn - Bodecia

Oh, I just watched your knotting video Caitlin, what an ingenious method!
    Check out my photos here

Quote Originally Posted by Bodecia View Post

Yes mad……. please do give us the details. You will have to virtually start again but it will be worth it for all of us.

Glad my neck won't be chopped off But your last necklace (big pearls) is the focus of all. Don't let it slip out of your fingers unless it is in my direction. Hah. Seriously do keep them safe.
    You got it, Dawn!

I can't imagine my dad paid that much for the necklace since he's retired, but I'll try to get those details from him and maybe even the receipt. He's given me receipts before, but he usually makes me wait a few years and ask a few dozen times before giving in and turning it over. I will say this, for a man, my dad has always had a good eye and knows when he's got a deal. Probably the most important thing he's ever taught me
    Check out my photos here

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

Thanks. Everyone who finger knots does it a bit differently. I want to do another video with the clasp attachments too. I will do the same thing by knotting over and over and over and try to get it all closeup.

I am hoping this video will inspire other to make videos with their knotting methods or maybe how they wirewrap earrings and what all. Won't that be wonderful?

So, I have to be good enough to teach something until something better comes along, but bad enough that others think they could do better videos and or knotting, and do so, LOL!
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

First item: Art deco lavalier - purchased on ebay from a dealer in the UK for a reasonable price a few years ago.
    3 larger pearls: 4.5mmx4mmx3.5mm
    18 smaller pearls: approx 2.5mmx3mm (4 small pearls are missing, so there should have been 22 smaller pearls)
    10 0.5inch guilloche enameled bars, some enamel loss
    1 marquis mystery stone 24mmx10mmx8mm
    Sterling silver (535 hallmark on the clasp, clasp looks original); two hallmarks on back of bezeled mystery stone, both illegible
    Necklace length 15.5 inches
    Pendant length 3.5 inches
    Early art deco design style
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Check out my photos here

Hi mad……………… thought you would start with your original pieces so we can get the new and better photos and sizes etc.

Nice piece though. Good natural pearls and you should be able to find small replacement pearls for the missing ones. Mystery stone - not Malachite but similar. Think Chrysocalla or something like that. Too tired to check right now.

Dawn - Bodecia

I was thinking along the same lines for the stone as well. There is a small clear area in a corner of the stone, which made me think chrysocolla as well.
    Well, I started with this one because I was wearing it today, lol. Talk about lazy, huh?
    I'll try to do one post per day, otherwise I'm not likely to stick with it.
    Check out my photos here