Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Right! That is probably a bead in the big pearl. That pearl joined with a spontaneous growth that looks like it has two elements. Very cool.

I have a loose blue and white "bird pearl" and a white one with diamond eyes that is a pendant. I've always assumed that the larger part has a bead because they are south sea pearls.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member mausketeer's Avatar

Thanks so much for posting these photos Dave and Charmy! So fascinating! Dave, do you have any photos of UV light on your (I shall proudly say "our", being a BC gal!) pearls? I am still trying to find more info on why pearls from different parts of the world (and different species of oysters and mussels) exhibit different colour fluorescence - can't find anything on this on the internet. I'm sure it's probably something simple.......
    "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string."
    - Lucy Maude Montgomery -

Inactive Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Quote Originally Posted by mausketeer View Post
    Dave, do you have any photos of UV light on your (I shall proudly say "our", being a BC gal!) pearls? I am still trying to find more info on why pearls from different parts of the world (and different species of oysters and mussels) exhibit different colour fluorescence - can't find anything on this on the internet. I'm sure it's probably something simple.......
    Unfortunately my handheld lamp was accidentally doused in seawater and needs replacement. Although I occasionally look at pearls and shells, I don't have photos. In my work, UV light is used with reactive dyes to observe soft tissues and vascular behavior.

If my understanding is correct, Douglas has described a baseline which identifies his pearls (Pteria sterna) and rules out claims of sources from other parts of the world. For that reason alone, I should be photo documenting my pearls, in the event others attempt to co-opt my name and product. Besides that, I have a strict catalog and database system which identifies each pearl to a date and location of harvest.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

I'm excited to try candling with some of my pearls! Such an interesting thread with fascinating photos!
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Quote Originally Posted by GemGeek View Post
    That is probably a bead in the big pearl. That pearl joined with a spontaneous growth that looks like it has two elements.
    Agreed. It appears to me to be regrafted with a smaller baroque pearl. The dark patch of conchiolin is proximal (close to the heart) and the smaller element is distal (furthest from the heart).

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member CharmedOne's Avatar

This is pretty cool. Thank you all so much, I am learning so much here. As long as I don't look into the light

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Really great photos and clever idea....and Paul...good thinking with that book light! Might be a bit easier!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Amrita's Avatar

What a fascinating thread with super cool pictures!

Pearl Designer & Collector Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Hello all,

I have been attempting some candling but need to buy a USB mini microscope that is compatible for a Mac. I have found 2 and wondered what people think about these two and which would be best.

URL - http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-500X-2MP-.../141091264632?

or

URL - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=400567414235

I think they both have different merits and would appreciate feedback on them.

Hopefully tomorrow I will have time to add a few of the photos I managed to take with my camera but most showed very little.

Dawn - Bodecia
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
    eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

I like the stand on the 5x-500x. Mine is similar to the microscope itself.

The stainless steel one looks interesting, but it appears more like an inspection tool for examining flat surfaces.

Thank you Dave,

I thought the mobility and flexibility on the steel one might be very handy for easily clearing any size box used when candling so I ended up getting both. I will add some photos from my camera soon and more and better ones when my first microscope arrives.

Dawn - Bodecia
    eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Hi Dave and All,

I am hoping you can "read" my candling photos for me. These are photos of two rings I have. I know the photos are not perfect but at the time I only had my camera to use. I bought 2 USB microscopes and one has arrived but not with a readable CD - one of those tiny ones that are useless for most computers. I am downloading drivers I hope will work on my mac. The other microscope seems to be totally lost in the US postal system. Seller sent it via USP and it ended up delivered to some firm in the US after I paid $30 for a fast delivery. Grrrrr

I will add photos of other items later. Sometimes (often) I am not really sure what I am seeing. Need to learn what I am seeing.

I have other photos but thought to get opinions on these first. I believe both are natural pearls. At the moment I still sometimes get a halo around the pearls or the light shines straight through them. The 3 light system may be too much light, not sure.

As a set up I am using an 80mm x 55mm box with a 3 light torch in it. That can be used easily just by pushing on the top to turn on and off. The lid is tight so no light escapes that way and no need for a cord or wire out the side of the box. Also using Blu Tack to cover any holes not in use and after a few tries decided to use it on top as well by cutting a small square of Blu Tack and using the Wad Punch to cut a hole in that too. That helps to keep light from glaring out around the pearl.

I have set 3 boxes up with 3 holes in each of varying sizes. Have more boxes so will probably try out different types and sizes of holes to look at strands once I get a microscope working. The boxes and little battery light were cheap. It is just a matter of changing the lids for different hole sizes.

Sorry about blurry photo of set up but the extra lenses were still on the camera.

Dawn - Bodecia
    Attached Images Attached Images            

Very nice progress Dawn!

These views indicate a few points supporting the pearl is natural in origin. There is no geometric circle or occlusion, hence no shell bead nucleus. Randomly ordered dark patches and spots are strongly supportive signatures in naturals. I do not see features typical of tissue grafting, which often show square shaped contrasts with contoured margins or rolls. The light passes the pearl with medium density and in one of the images presents with a deep layer of iridescence, demonstrating the over-maturity of the pearl.

First-graft Pearl Senior Member

Hi Dawn,

Congrats on the pictures ! the first one of the first ring in particular is beautiful !
    I'm not expert, but I spent quite a few hours trying the candling. I failed to take any good picture as I don't have a microscope.
    Like you, I got stuck with interpreting what I was seeing....
    One thing that help me is to compare with candling cultured pearls and even fake pearls. Then you can see clearly what a bead looks like with candling, and the lack of glow / translucence with a fake pearl.

Hope some expert will jump in to give their opinions, as this is a really interesting technique.
    *edit*: saw that Dave has answered at the same time - Great Insights !!
    Best,
    Sophie
    Last edited by FrenchPearl; 12-06-2013 at 04:57 PM.

Thank you so much Dave and Sophie,

I did believe those two rings had natural pearls but we all like confirmation of what we are seeing when learning. Dave the over mature pearl is the one I want to get peeled one day. It is beautiful but does need it as apart from a little peeling it also has damage where a prong was pushed in too deeply. As it is damaged I get to keep it. Sophie I did at first take photos of a Tahitian and Cortez pearl and it was plain to see they were cultured but then I thought I should have used Akoya as a type of cultured. I am not sure what the beads in Tahitian and Cortez look like and thought they might be darker which could have skewed what I thought I was seeing. I did take photos of a likely cultured pearl necklace so will go through them.

Below are photos of one piece of jewellery. With large pearls and smaller pearls. Depending on what you think I may have to take photos of each and every large pearl and possibly a lot of more of the smaller to make sure.

I am fairly pleased with the results so far and once I get the microscope working it should hopefully be a lot easier. The Ashes (cricket) were on today and although I could work online a little I couldn't start pulling everything around to try and set up. The Ashes had to come first. Even for me.

Please do tell me what you think about these pearls from a bracelet. Some of the ladies might recognise it from Dawn's Pearls.
    Photos taken of 2 of the large pearls and a few of the smaller sections. These only represent it for the time being. Still a lot more to be taken.

If you think natural please do let me know and why if possible and if not well ??.. no harm done. I am still going through the many photos trying to work out what I am seeing.

Dawn - Bodecia
    Attached Images Attached Images