Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need Details on White Pair & Black Pair of Pearl Earrings

Hey guys- can someone help me determine what region these pearls are from, if possible at all? I plan on selling these and trying to find out exactly what I have. The only thing I know is that they are real, they feel gritty. I have some doubt about the black pair, they do feel a bit smooth.

And other information that can help me determin value would be gaily appreciated.

Last edited by W201; 03-11-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Administrator Senior Member

Try loading the images directly on the forum. The links you posted did not come though.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Amanda's Avatar

I'm getting 404 errors on all 4 links

Sorry about that guys- I fixed the problem.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

The blacks don't look like real pearls. Due to the similarity of the settings, that could make the whites suspect as well.

Do you know what the sizes are and what the metal is?

2.3 milimeters 14k yellow gold. Is there another way to test them for authenticity other than a scratch test?

The pearls are 2.3 mm? That doesn't seem possible unless the settings are tiny. What did you use to get that measurement?

The best way to test on your own is the tooth test, but that is also easiest to accomplish with a known, genuine pearl for comparison.

I used a caliper, but I took the measurement wrong, they're actually closer to 7mm. On the inch scale they're 1/4 inch in diameter.

In that size range, if they are real, they would be akoya pearls. Unfortunately, they wouldn't be tremendously valuable. Most of the value would be in the weight of the setting.

Well, at least I know they're akoya pearls. Thanks for your expertise!

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

I seriously doubt either one is a real pearl. They look like Trifari's a brand name that is worth something, but does not use real pearls and is goldtone or silvertone. These are vintage designer faux or fake.
    the link goes to a similar pair on eBay. The ones you have are very similar to Trifari's signature look. they could be vintage, 50's-60's

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...d=322781036624

Above is a link for Trifari pearl earrings. You will see they have endless variations on the theme youe have. Those just don't look like cultured mabe pearls to me.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Are they stamped 14k? That would be a good sign.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

This is nothing to do with pearls but are you an OU law student? Going by your nickname....?

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I seriously doubt either one is a real pearl. They look like Trifari's a brand name that is worth something, but does not use real pearls and is goldtone or silvertone. These are vintage designer faux or fake.
    the link goes to a similar pair on eBay. The ones you have are very similar to Trifari's signature look. they could be vintage, 50's-60's

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=...d=322781036624

Above is a link for Trifari pearl earrings. You will see they have endless variations on the theme youe have. Those just don't look like cultured mabe pearls to me.
    Caitlin- Not that I doubt your expertise, but a few things worry me- why would someone go trough all the trouble of setting faux pearls in 14K gold? Doesn't it make more sense to get ahold of a low quality pearl? The low quality variety can't be horribly expensive, just recently heltzberg diamonds gave away a free set of fresh water pearls to my fiance.

Pattye- yes, they're stamped 14K gold. If you look closely on the side-shots, you can barely make it out.

pearlescence- Not a law student. I'm a vintage car guy. W201 is a designation for a car chassis made by Mercedes Benz
    Last edited by W201; 03-12-2012 at 02:49 AM.