First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member danachit's Avatar

Default My dear, dear pearl supplier Mr. Chen

Today, I went to the North Atlanta Trade center...so excited to see Mr. Chen. We've been doing business together for at least 10 years. I love his selection of everything all the way up to Tahitians and South Sea. His prices have always been so low (always told to me in a whisper if anyone else was near)...that I wondered how he was making a profit. ( That double strand opera I made for my best friend with $240 worth of glossy fat pearls was just appraised at $4500!) Excellent qualify, even more excellent prices.

"AH!! Miss Dana! So good to see you!!" He always knew my name.

But today, I couldn't find him. I looked and looked and the administrator had told me he was indeed registered. But he was nowhere to be found. Eventually, I saw a young man who looked familiar and I asked, "Don't you work with Mr. Chen?"

The man solemnly nodded, then told me Mr. Chen had died. Two weeks ago.

Which would explain why he wasn't answering his phone this month.

I'm heartbroken over losing my friend and wonderful suppler of all my pearls.

How does one go about replacing such one as my Mr. Chen? I'll miss my friend dearly and I'm seriously lost as to where to now buy wholesale pearls. God rest his sweet, sweet soul.
    Ginger Rogers did the exact same thing as Fred Astaire, only she did it backwards and in heels!

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

So very sorry to hear, Dana. Is there no one to carry on his business?
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Ya know, it was odd. The gentleman there, which could have been his son, had all sorts of gems and minerals, but just no pearls. It could be pearls was what his Dad did.

I remember once I had spent about two hours picking and sorting though some half-drills and had somehow nicked a mosquito bite on my arm. I was bleeding like a dang stuck pig. I didn't want Mr. Chen to see me bleeding because it was in such gross contrast to the clean, creamy pearls, so I applied finger pressure and maintained eye contact, applying pressure, haggling prices....applying pressure. Mr. Chen reached under the table. "Here. A Kleenex for YOU." Gyah, I was SO embarrassed! Haha, I'm sure he didn't want me bleeding all over his pearls, LOL! I'm going to miss my friend so much!
    Ginger Rogers did the exact same thing as Fred Astaire, only she did it backwards and in heels!

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

I'm so sorry to hear, Dana

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member boo's Avatar

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss! He sounds like a wonderful man.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert waimeamomi's Avatar

So sorry, Dana. It's one of the things in our world of immediate contact that we forget -- what happens when someone isn't in contact anymore? We take our accessibility to everyone so for granted. I've actually told Tom (hubby) that if anything happens to me, he needs to let you all know! But he doesn't have info like passwords, account info etc. -------- Here's to Mr. Chen. When you read this thread, take a moment and consider him!
    Sheryl

http://www.etsy.com/shop/mkmPearls
    https://www.facebook.com/MaunaKeaMoonlight

?All art is autobiographical; the pearl is the oyster's autobiography? Frederico Fellini
    Momi means pearl in Hawaiian!

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Good suppliers are the lifeblood of our businesses and we rightly cherish them. I feel very sad for you, doubly so, for you have lost a good chum and a vital business connection.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by waimeamomi View Post
    So sorry, Dana. It's one of the things in our world of immediate contact that we forget -- what happens when someone isn't in contact anymore? We take our accessibility to everyone so for granted. I've actually told Tom (hubby) that if anything happens to me, he needs to let you all know! But he doesn't have info like passwords, account info etc. -------- Here's to Mr. Chen. When you read this thread, take a moment and consider him!
    Ah, yes, Sheryl....the allusive internet connection. When someone goes missing, we have no way of knowing just how serious that missing may be. I don't post on here as much since I started graduate school, but it warms my soul to come on here and peruse through all the familiar names.

One thing about growing older no one told me about, was the difficulty one encounters as those older and wiser than us, begin to all pass away, one by one. Makes you cherish your relationships that much more. Bless all of you and may you all live to a healthy one hundred or beyond!

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

The same thing happened to me with my Northern Spy apple supplier. He owned an orchard near Cortland NY, and one year he just didn't answer his phone. It never occurred to me that he could've died, he seemed to be ageless...then his son contacted me with the bad news. I know how you feel, it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa c View Post
    The same thing happened to me with my Northern Spy apple supplier. He owned an orchard near Cortland NY, and one year he just didn't answer his phone. It never occurred to me that he could've died, he seemed to be ageless...then his son contacted me with the bad news. I know how you feel, it hurts.
    Aww...your apple farmer! I understand about seeing them as ageless. They play a role in our lives and we seem to expect them to be there forever. I, too, recently lost the farmer in my life...and also my firewood man. I fixed him a basket of hot buttermilk biscuits with pear preserves one chilly fall.

Love all the elders in my life and miss the ones who have passed on!